How difficult have you found it to gain a work permit?

Shortie

Total posts
If you live in the UK, you will know that there is the option to get Visas or work permits to be able to work in the UK from overseas. Depending on whether you have a job offer at that time or no job offer at that time, there will be a different permit/visa you can go for.

You can see more information about visas and work permits here in the UK https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas

Are you someone who has needed a visa or a work permit to work in the UK? How easy did you find it to gain one when it was needed?

As a way of keeping active in online permitting discussions, I'm often on Reddit (username: PermittingTalk). I noticed that a lot of the permitting threads on Reddit are actually focused on work permits and difficulties people are having getting/maintaining one. I'm really not very familiar with the ins-and-outs of work permits but my basic understanding is, like you said, that there's all kinds of different work permit and visa types that people trying to live/work in the UK can apply for.

Here's one recent Reddit thread I came across about a girl from Germany seeking a visa/permit to permanently move to the UK to be with her fiancé. Some commenters suggested she apply for a fiancé or spouse visa, which she can apparently get if her partner works and earns 18,600 pounds. So, in her case a "work permit" would kind of be needed, haha. Part of the context of this post is that she previously lived in the UK for 12 years and would now be moving back post-Brexit. Commenters advised that she could potentially qualify for "settled" status if she hadn't been living outside the UK for more than five years.

Forums seem to be a great resource for people seeking perspective/advice navigating these sorts of immigration issues. When it comes to something that's very personal, like trying to move to another country as part of one's livelihood, I think people often want to hear directly from others who have experienced the immigration process, as opposed to government websites or officials.

Well, I have not been to the UK and I have not been in a situation where I had to seek a work permit. However, I have friends and family who are in the UK on a student visa and I have heard from them about the general rules for work permits for students. When you travel to the UK as a student, you can only get a temporary work permit, you cannot become self-employed or start a business, right?

Well, I have not been to the UK and I have not been in a situation where I had to seek a work permit. However, I have friends and family who are in the UK on a student visa and I have heard from them about the general rules for work permits for students. When you travel to the UK as a student, you can only get a temporary work permit, you cannot become self-employed or start a business, right?
If you are a visitor to the UK, you are unable to do any kind of paid or unpaid work for someone if you are self-employed.

At the moment, as far as I know, if you come into the country and you are self-employed, there is not currently a work visa for this so if you are a freelancer and wish to come into the UK from overseas, you will not be able to do this at the moment.

Securing a work permit in the UK can be easier or tougher depending on variables like your job, expertise, qualifications, and the prevailing immigration policies. I have never had to personally go through this as I am a resident and born in the UK, but it can be quite hard. Honestly though it depends on individual circumstances.

Securing the right visas or work permits is crucial for overseas individuals looking to work in the UK. The variety of options, whether you have a job offer or not, offers a flexible approach to immigration, catering to different needs. This system underscores the UK's commitment to welcoming skilled professionals globally and building a diverse, inclusive workforce. Personally, I don't have any experience with visas since I've not travelled abroad yet but when I do in the future, I would appreciate a smooth experience.

If I remembered correctly, UK have a point based system that they make use of when it comes granting anyone a work permit. In order for you to qualify for the most of the long-duration work permit for skilled workers position, it's a must that you score 70 points in their point based system, otherwise you're not getting it.

Obtaining a work permit in the UK can be influenced by different factors, like the nature of the work you plan to engage in, your qualifications, and the prevailing immigration policies. The UK offers various types of work permits, such as Tier 2 General, Tier 5 Youth Mobility Scheme, and Tier 1 Exceptional Talent, among others. Each category has its unique set of eligibility criteria, requirements, and application procedures that must be fulfilled. It is advisable to consult official sources or seek expert advice to obtain accurate and current information regarding the specific work permit you are interested in pursuing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back