Home Business Permit

Honey

Total posts
Some people prefer working from the comfort of their homes. That's why the number of online jobs and businesses is increasing every day. What would you suggest to someone who wants to start a home business of any type in the United States? Do they still need to acquire permits from the state, or do home businesses don't need any permits?

To my knowledge you do not need a permit of any kind to work online/from home. Though it might differ depending on the state you're in, so you may need to look into the ordinances and rules in your location and go from there.

I think the only time you'd need a permit is when you establish a business office. But usually I think working from home is free of needing any permits. I

The only time I can think of that would require a permit, is if you establish a business as a non-US citizen. You might need to file an EAD to do any work within the US.

I believe it depends on where you live as to whether you may need a permit to work from home in the US. Some factors to take into consideration are the location in which you work, the nature of your work and any local regulations there may be.

I would always advise anyone to research the specific regulations and requirements for the area you live or work and ensure that you understand them.

To my knowledge you do not need a permit of any kind to work online/from home. Though it might differ depending on the state you're in, so you may need to look into the ordinances and rules in your location and go from there.

I think the only time you'd need a permit is when you establish a business office. But usually I think working from home is free of needing any permits. I

The only time I can think of that would require a permit, is if you establish a business as a non-US citizen. You might need to file an EAD to do any work within the US.
Yes, I believe it's when you establish an office from the home, or a business in general. If you work as a business, you will have to follow the rules of one. Not only filing for the required permits, but you may have to file other permits and even provide something like business insurance.

Starting a home-based business is not as simple as it sounds. You might have to get various kinds of permits. However, the permits required for home-based businesses in the United States can vary based on the type of business, location, and local regulations. Some of the important things to consider are:

Home Occupation Permit: Some cities or counties may require a home occupation permit that allows you to operate a business from your residence. If you live in a community where there is a homeowners association, you may need their approval to run a business from your home
Business License: You might also need a business license which can be obtained from your city or county government.
Certain professions or businesses may require specific professional licenses or certifications. For example, if your business is related to real estate, law, or accounting, you might need a professional license.
Health Department Permits: If your home-based business sells food, you may need permits from the local health department.
Environmental Permits: If you are involved in activities that may impact the environment, you may require environmental permits.

When I worked from home in Indiana, a permit was not needed for the type of business I was doing. I made sure that I had extra home insurance on the property in case someone got hurt (slipped on ice or stairs), so that I was safeguarded in case someone wanted to sue me. That was probably my biggest worry.

About 10 years ago I started a stump grinding business and kept the equipment at my in-law's house, which is where I was living at the time. There weren't any permits required for the business itself and the only real permitting-type measure I took was to register a Fictious Business Name (FBN) with the County of San Diego, which required me to specify my home/business address. I also obtained general liability insurance, similar to @Korner6, and reported the business on my taxes, but didn't do anything beyond that in terms of legal paperwork.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back