Work Permit for International Students in the United States


Well-known member
Aug 26, 2023
An international student in the United States cannot survive without doing any work. So, how do international students on F-1 visas apply for work permits in the United States? What are the limitations and conditions attached to work permits for international students? What is the duration of a standard work permit in the United States of America? How easy is it to renew the work permit if necessary? Are any industries excluded in these work permits for internationalmstudents?
United States
It is important to talk to your international student advisor or DSO to learn about the specific requirements and procedures for getting a work permit as an international student in the United States. They have the latest and correct information that you need.
Yes, international students have to do part-time jobs to cover their monthly/yearly expenses. For that, they can either go for on-campus or off-campus jobs. But on-campus jobs are mostly not related to students' education. It's mostly in the 'bookstore' or 'cafeteria' departments. Also, on-campus jobs are not enough to cover one's monthly expenses.

If you're an F1 visa holder, you can apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT), which allows you to work in USA for an year.
Last edited:
International students on F-1 visas can apply for work permits in the US by obtaining an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) through the Optional Practical Training (OPT) program. The limitations include being enrolled in a qualified school, working only in their field of study, and a maximum duration of 12 months. Work permits can be renewed if necessary, and certain industries like government agencies are excluded from OPT eligibility.
International students who are currently in the US on F-1 visas are allowed to work under certain conditions. They do however need to follow apply for work authorization and follow specific rules.

Students can gain employment on campus without obtaining any specific work authorization. It is, however, essential that you work with your DSO closely at your academic institution to be able to understand the processes and regulations for work authorization. You should also ensure you maintain your F-1 status and ensure you follow all rules and report requirements associated with any work authorization you receive.