What permits would be required to build your own inground pool?

Winny

Total posts
I'm kind of curious, I've always wanted to install an inground pool on my property, but I don't know what the process would be to actually build one from scratch. I want to dig one with the help of a construction crew, and I want to build a natural style pool system if possible. Our winters are pretty harsh, so if I were to do this, I'd need to use materials that can handle the harsh winters.

What permits would be required for building an inground pool in Michigan? I figure some environment permits if we dig deep into the ground, want to make sure no pipes or important things are in the way.
Adobe-Stock-92325696.webp

That's a good question. I looked into it a bit online, and found some info that might help you. You likely will need a few permits, one being a residential building permit, which is required in Michigan when building an inground pool, same with needing an electrical permit. My guess is only when you plan to install lighting inside the pool.

But, that's not all, as you may need other permits depending on where you live in Michigan, those permits being; soil and erosion permit, DEQ permit, and a fence permit. As well, a mechanical permit is required if you plan to install a gas pool heater. You may also need to get zoning approval for the project.

The costs also vary it seems, for a residential building permit it can run you back between $150-$300. Electrical permits can cost you $80-$150. And there is likely to be other fees associated with it. So keep that in mind too.

You can find more info on all of this and the rules here - ZagersPoolSpa

That's a good question. I looked into it a bit online, and found some info that might help you. You likely will need a few permits, one being a residential building permit, which is required in Michigan when building an inground pool, same with needing an electrical permit. My guess is only when you plan to install lighting inside the pool.

But, that's not all, as you may need other permits depending on where you live in Michigan, those permits being; soil and erosion permit, DEQ permit, and a fence permit. As well, a mechanical permit is required if you plan to install a gas pool heater. You may also need to get zoning approval for the project.

The costs also vary it seems, for a residential building permit it can run you back between $150-$300. Electrical permits can cost you $80-$150. And there is likely to be other fees associated with it. So keep that in mind too.

You can find more info on all of this and the rules here - ZagersPoolSpa

I'm actually curious what the permitting situation looks like for inground versus above ground pools. Growing up in Michigan, I didn't know anyone with inground pools but I did know a few who had above ground pools in their backyards. There's obviously a lot more construction/excavation involved with inground pools versus above ground, especially since above ground pools tend to be prefabricated. I would think that permitting requirements for inground pools would also be commensurately more complex (e.g., involving engineering drawings, erosion control plans, etc.). @Winny may want to start by talking to a pool company about this. The pool contractor should be able to advise whether there are any major permitting issues she should be aware of before proceeding down the inground pool route.

In Michigan, you will be need to seek several permits to build an inground pool such as a building permit, electrical permit for any wiring associated with the pool, and possibly a plumbing permit for the pool's plumbing system. You might also need a zoning permit to ensure compliance with local regulations. Always consult with local authorities or a professional to ensure all necessary permits are obtained

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back