Permits for Sunday hunting? It could happen.

Jake

Total posts
A 140 year old ban on hunting deer on Sundays may be lifted in order to help with overpopulation problems in Massachusetts. Some farmers in the area are saying the deer population has caused an environmental crisis, especially with deer eating their crops. Hunters already get 6 days to hunt through the week (from October to December), and some believe that's more than enough time. It's estimated that there is a population of over 100,000 deer though, which is causing financial losses for farmers.

If this move is accepted, it could result in adjustments for the permitting process as well. We also need to take into account whether hunting is done on public or private lands. Non-hunters are concerned about the safety of said public lands if hunting is allowed on Sundays.

If you're a hunter, farmer or just interested in reading more on this news, you can find the story here - Boston.com

They already get 6 days of the week to hunt? I really don't see how an additional day is going to change much. Most hunters are going to find a day or two to go out and hunt, but I suppose this could be a way to get some people out there. Why don't the farmers get a hunters license to handle the deer themselves? I think that's what I would do in their situation.

The potential lifting of the ban on Sunday hunting in Massachusetts has sparked a heated debate. While some argue it is necessary to control the overpopulation of deer and protect crops, others worry about the safety of public lands and the impact on non-hunters.

The potential lifting of the ban on Sunday hunting in Massachusetts has sparked a heated debate. While some argue it is necessary to control the overpopulation of deer and protect crops, others worry about the safety of public lands and the impact on non-hunters.
Also I wonder if there is any concerns from religious folks who don't like hunting to happen on a Sunday. I can see some people being offended to allow hunting on a Sunday. But in the long run, I don't see an issue with an additional day for hunters. If citizens can handle it 6 days out of the week, what's one more day?

What? They have banned hunting deer on Sundays in Massachusetts but deer can be hunted on other days? Do we know that this rule was created 140 years ago? I can assume that it was created purely for a religious purpose as Sunday happens to be a day to visit the Church.

All the special Sunday rules have changed in my neck of the woods. Previously, you couldn't buy beer on Sundays, but that's now changed. You also couldn't hunt, but that's changed too. Let's face it, Sundays aren't held in reverence anymore. Boston needs to get with the times.

What? They have banned hunting deer on Sundays in Massachusetts but deer can be hunted on other days? Do we know that this rule was created 140 years ago? I can assume that it was created purely for a religious purpose as Sunday happens to be a day to visit the Church.
Yes that is correct. It likely stems from religious beliefs, as a lot of Americans go to church on Sundays, view it as a day of rest and so on. I know some states even forbid the sale of alcohol and other items on Sundays too.
All the special Sunday rules have changed in my neck of the woods. Previously, you couldn't buy beer on Sundays, but that's now changed. You also couldn't hunt, but that's changed too. Let's face it, Sundays aren't held in reverence anymore. Boston needs to get with the times.
I agree. Sundays aren't as important. To me, it's just another day. Albeit, a day off, but another day nonetheless.

The idea that Sundays are too sacred for hunting is ridiculous in a country that is supposed to maintain the separation of church and state. I'm surprised that the law hasn't been changed already.

I don't blame the non-hunters for being upset about the proposed change. It will be more difficult for families to go hiking, and it will mean that children can't explore the woods safely. What's so wrong with holding one day apart, where hunting isn't allowed?

I don't blame the non-hunters for being upset about the proposed change. It will be more difficult for families to go hiking, and it will mean that children can't explore the woods safely. What's so wrong with holding one day apart, where hunting isn't allowed?

Good point. I think most people agree that Sunday prohibition laws are antiquated but I can see how some people, both secular and religious, might still support them (or just not mind them) for non-religious reasons. I support separation of church and state too but if I had an alcoholic family member who was allowed to purchase alcohol one fewer day a week thanks to a Sunday alcohol prohibition...well you probably wouldn't see me down at city hall fighting that one. Same goes for Sunday deer hunting in Massachusetts. Like @mantis pointed out, there may be non-hunters, both secular and religious, who really value the Sunday hunting prohibition because it gives them one day per week where they can hike and explore public wooded areas without having to worry about run-ins with hunters.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back