Hiking The Wave - A trail running through Utah and Arizona

Winny

Total posts
If you're an adventurer and like to travel the world, then you might be interested in hiking The Wave, a stunning trail in Arizona that nears the Utah border. One of the adventurers who hiked The Wave, is featured in a Business Insider article that details what you should know when it comes to hiking this trail. This will come in handy for those who are looking to secure a permit to partake in the journey. Find the information below.

• Permit Lottery System: It's not easy to secure a permit to hike The Wave, as there is only a limit of 64 permits issued daily. Permits are issued based on an advanced online lottery for up to 48 permits, while it's only 16 permits for same-day, or mobile-based lotteries. As well, it will be a $9 fee for the application, and a $7 fee per hiker is required upon winning. More on the permit process can be found here.
  • Mandatory Safety Briefing: Before hiking, winners are required to attend a safety briefing. This is to ensure all hikers are prepared for the dangers of the hike. The briefing will include details on trail maps, safety tips, and more.
  • Hiking The Wave: It is a 6-mile, moderately difficult, round trip. You will encounter a mix of flat gravel, soft sand, and of course steep and uneven climbs. You must come prepared with water, food, sunscreen, and a map of the trail, either via physical or downloaded on your phone in advance. You will not have cell reception in the area, so plan accordingly.

A friend of mine wanted to hike the Wave and wanted me to go. I'm not much of a hiker otherwise I would have gone. Then again, this place does look really beautiful, and experiencing it once might be cool. I get why they limit the amount of people who can obtain a permit, I don't think they'd want hundreds of people going through it every single day. Makes sense to limit it.

The fees aren't so bad either.

A friend of mine wanted to hike the Wave and wanted me to go. I'm not much of a hiker otherwise I would have gone. Then again, this place does look really beautiful, and experiencing it once might be cool. I get why they limit the amount of people who can obtain a permit, I don't think they'd want hundreds of people going through it every single day. Makes sense to limit it.

The fees aren't so bad either.
I am not really much of a hiker either, but I have been taking it up more often. This might be a little challenge for me, but I would love to give it a try one of these days. Maybe when I can get a good vacation going.

Did your friend end up going on that hike? If so, did he like it? Hope he was able to get a permit on the day he went there.

Why are they only issuing 64 permits per day? Are they trying to control human intervention in the area or do they have different reasons? What if I want to go on a hiking in the area and never win a lottery, I wouldn't have any chance, right? Why should there be a lottery instead of serving on first come first serve basis, at least all will have a fair chance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back