Building Permit Crunch Hits Marathon, Florida Keys

Nomad

Total posts
Marathon in the Florida Keys is running low on building permits. The permits are expected to run out by July, which is raising concerns about overdevelopment and safety, especially during natural disasters like hurricanes. To tackle the immediate shortage, Marathon City Council suggests borrowing up to 50 permits from Monroe County, which has enough until 2026. However, the broader issue of permitting in the Keys, considering nearly 8,000 vacant lots, awaits a decision from the state legislature and governor. There is a need to assess the feasibility of developing these lots before seeking additional permits.
You can read more here

Ok so this is quite new to me, I didn't know some cities have a limit of permits they can issue. I always assumed you could file a permit no matter the time, but I guess in some locations you have to wait for a permit to be available? Wild.

At this point, I would say to make more permits readily available so that there is enough. I think cities should have backup permits in case they need more. Especially if they are limited to begin with.

But I suppose there is a point to it, maybe we can't be expected to allow everyone a permit either.

Ok so this is quite new to me, I didn't know some cities have a limit of permits they can issue. I always assumed you could file a permit no matter the time, but I guess in some locations you have to wait for a permit to be available? Wild.

At this point, I would say to make more permits readily available so that there is enough. I think cities should have backup permits in case they need more. Especially if they are limited to begin with.

But I suppose there is a point to it, maybe we can't be expected to allow everyone a permit either.
Yeah, some locations limit the amount of permits they issue. It's probably done to stop abuse of the system, and to make sure permits are going to the right projects, or the most important ones.

There is a need to assess the feasibility of developing these lots before seeking additional permits.
The case being, is it worth investing into and then developing said lots. But yeah, planning things out before they go the permit route is ideal in securing these permits a lot faster.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back