Applying for an International Driving Permit in person at a post office.

Shortie

Total posts
If you are a citizen of England, you will know that if you wish to drive elsewhere in the world for example the USA, having a UK driving license is not enough and you will need to look into getting an international driving permit to be able to drive in other countries.

Of course, not all countries will require an International Driving Permit but it is always best to check first before you head away, especially if you are wanting to drive when in that specific country.

You can check which countries you will need an International Driving Permit for here

You can apply for an International Driving Permit in person at any Post Office and the cost for the IDP is £5.50 you can see more information and how to apply here

I recall when I worked at a local grocery store, we had to deny an alcohol purchase from a guy who had a UK driving license. I suppose he wasn't aware that it's not a valid license here and we couldn't legally sell him alcohol. It was a headache though, he was completely rude to me.

It's the same thing for most places that I have been to when it comes to getting an international driving permit. The good thing is that the fees for the international driving permit isn't something that's too high. At the price of £5.50, there wouldn't be much hassle paying for it and it's not going to have too much paper work.

I know your local driving license will not work when you travel to a new country, you either need an international driving license or you need the license of the host country. I checked the link to see the permit requirements, but I did not see any mention of driving tests. Does this mean, I do not have to do driving tests (written, oral or practical) to get an international driving license.

I recall when I worked at a local grocery store, we had to deny an alcohol purchase from a guy who had a UK driving license. I suppose he wasn't aware that it's not a valid license here and we couldn't legally sell him alcohol. It was a headache though, he was completely rude to me.

This is the reason citizens of any country should make serious enquires about International Driving Permits (IDP) when they are planning to travel outside of their counties. There are different laws in different countries and, if you want to enjoy life in a different place, you should be able to have certain kinds of permits plus the IDP for UK citizens ain't expensive at just less than £6.

The helpful post office staff will guide you through filling in the necessary details and make sure you have all the required documents. They are patient and knowledgeable, ensuring that your application process goes smoothly and without any issues. You can rely on them to provide excellent assistance during your visit.

Absolutely, it's crucial for travelers from England to be aware of the requirements when driving abroad. While a UK driving license is valid in many countries, obtaining an International Driving Permit (IDP) is a smart precaution. It ensures that you're legally allowed to drive in a foreign country and can be particularly useful in places where English isn't the primary language, as the IDP includes translations of your driving information. It's a simple step that can make international travel smoother and more hassle-free, so it's always a good idea to check the specific requirements of the destination you plan to visit before heading off on your journey.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back