What Permits Do You Need to Start Urban Farming in the United States?

Nomad

Total posts
Starting an urban farming enterprise in the United States may need a variety of permissions and approvals, the specifics of which will depend on your region and the type of your agricultural operations. Here are some typical permissions and concerns to be aware of:

Zoning and Land Use Permits: Check with your local zoning authority to see whether urban farming is permitted in your region and if any special zoning laws apply to your land.

Business license: If you intend to sell farm products, you may require a business license or registration from your city or county.

Building Permits: Building permits may be required if you want to develop structures such as greenhouses, storage sheds, or other farm-related facilities.

Permissions for Water Use: If your urban farm uses a lot of water, you may need permissions for well drilling, or irrigation system installations.

Permits for Soil and Water Conservation, Wetlands Preservation, and Other Environmental Problems: Depending on your location and the environmental effect of your agricultural operations, you may require permits for soil and water conservation, wetlands preservation, or other environmental problems.
Permits, such as a food handler's permit or a license for a mobile food seller.

Licenses from the Health Department: If you want to sell produce or food items directly to customers, you may require licenses from the Health Department, such as a food handler's permit or a mobile food vendor license.

Permits for Pesticides and Herbicides: If you want to use pesticides or herbicides on your crops, you may require permits or certificates to ensure their safe and lawful usage.

Licenses for Animal Husbandry: If you intend to raise cattle or poultry on your urban farm, you may require licenses for their care and shelter.

Licenses for Composting and Waste Management: If you want to compost organic waste or manage agricultural waste in a certain way, you may require waste management composting licenses.

I know. It's the never ending story. There are permits for everything, so much that they discourage small guys from producing something(and I think that is the intention after all)
I was hallucinating when I thought to make a business on my small farm. After checking all the permits required, I decided to just make it just for my personal use. In my case, is not worth all that headache with permits, intruders often checking my operations, etc...
In other words, thanks to so much restrictions, I decided not to produce for my local community.
That's why I see so much land without use while driving through the country.

It's another case of the rich getting richer, or in this case the bigger companies consume the smaller ones who can't compete with all those endless fees. The Amish in my area do it in a way that they don't get caught. I don't know if they have any exemptions, but they sell at farmstands by the side of the road. They also sell at farmer's markets.

It's another case of the rich getting richer, or in this case the bigger companies consume the smaller ones who can't compete with all those endless fees. The Amish in my area do it in a way that they don't get caught. I don't know if they have any exemptions, but they sell at farmstands by the side of the road. They also sell at farmer's markets.
I believe the Amish are at a constant battle too. Not long ago I heard in the news of an Amish farm been in trouble for the same reasons.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back