Supreme Court again refuses to intervene in drag show controversy

Winny

Total posts
A student group at West Texas A&M University has recently sought an emergency intervention to hold a drag show on their campus as they believe it's well within their First Amendment rights. Unfortunately the college was against the idea and banned the event from going down, in turn, not allowing them to hold the event on campus. The U.S Supreme Court also declined to help in any way, deciding not to intervene in the situation.

Due to all of this, the students will likely have to relocate their event off-campus, though, they are awaiting a hearing from the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals to see if that will help them any. The main person against this drag show banning is University President, Walter Wendler, who cited ideological reasons as to why the drag show was initially banned from using campus facilities to begin with.

There is a lot of legal and social implications that come along with this news. I think LGBTQ+ people should be free to represent themselves how they see fit, yet our legal system doesn't seem to agree. A district court judge ruled against the students too, stating that drag shows do not convey a discernible, protectable message. Meaning, that it currently does not qualify for First Amendment protection. But, there was another judge that believes that a statewide law restricting drag shows was an unconstitutional restriction on speech.

How do you feel about all of this? I am fine with whatever people want to do. I see no issues with adults going to a drag show if that's where they want to go. You can read more on this article from: NPR

Just let them have a location for their shows and events. Why is it so hard for these government officials to allow anything? It's not like this event was targeted towards the youth, which is what a lot of people seem to think. It's sad that colleges and even our government are stopping something like this from happening. Knowing how these politicians work, I am willing to bet any public events that have to do with drag shows will be banned, or they will find a way to stop them.

If they can't have their event on campus, then I'm sure they will find another location, but even so, who's to say that won't be stopped too?

Just let them have a location for their shows and events. Why is it so hard for these government officials to allow anything? It's not like this event was targeted towards the youth, which is what a lot of people seem to think. It's sad that colleges and even our government are stopping something like this from happening. Knowing how these politicians work, I am willing to bet any public events that have to do with drag shows will be banned, or they will find a way to stop them.

If they can't have their event on campus, then I'm sure they will find another location, but even so, who's to say that won't be stopped too?
I think it's a mix of hate and misunderstanding. There will always be the ones who are against it because of their religion and beliefs. And you'll have the ones who are full of hate and don't care about anyone but themselves. I think with this, it's just a case of misunderstanding and ignorance. They think these shows are depraved, like some kind of strip show or something. I don't think drag shows are like that. I think it's more a celebration of people who partake in drag, being allowed the freedom to show who they truly are in a venue that's safe for all.

I believe the rights of sexual minorities should be protected, however, I am against the events like the drag show. Why should everyone who are not from that communities be dragged into this thing. These drag shows are mostly sexual in nature and have nothing to do with the rights of minorities. These shows are mostly the mockery of our sense and sensibilities.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back