Single Event permits needed for alcohol in Utah


Well-known member
Aug 28, 2023
Total posts
Likes received
Temporary events in Utah need a permit to sell alcohol and these are for events that are public. Private parties don't need to have a permit, but if they advertise that party on social media, it will be construed as public. Also if tickets are sold to a private party, then it's not considered private anymore. People should also note that they need to get the permit 30 days before the event, so those who procrastinate might not want to delay on doing that.
Single Event Permits: Single event permits are available from the Utah Department ofAlcoholic Beverage Services for groups that want to sell liquor, wine, flavored malt beverages, beer, and heavy beer at temporary events. These are available to a bona fide partnerships, corporations, limited liability companies, political or religious organizations, or incorporated associations (including recognized subordinate lodges, chapters or other local units) that have been in existence for at least one year. The organization must be conducting a civic or community enterprise or convention. The permit allows for the sale of alcoholic beverages to the general public, or to the organization's own invited guests for the duration of the event. The permit allows for hosted bars or cash bars and the sale of alcohol for fundraising purposes. Permits are approved by the Director of DABS and applications must be submitted 30 days in advance of the event. Local licensing is also required.
Utah, United States
When serving alcohol at a single event in Utah, it's important to obtain specific permits. Here's an overview of the permits required:

1. Special Event Permit: This permit is necessary for temporary events like weddings, parties, or fundraisers where alcohol will be served. You can obtain it from the Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (DABC). It's recommended to apply well in advance of your event.

2. Limited-Service Restaurant License: If you're serving alcohol at a private function held at a location that doesn't typically serve alcohol, you may need a Limited-Service Restaurant License. This allows you to serve alcohol for a limited period. The DABC can provide detailed information on obtaining this license.

3. Caterer's License: If you're hiring a licensed caterer to handle the alcohol service at your event, they will need a Caterer's License. It is the caterer's responsibility to obtain this license from the DABC.

4. Temporary Beer Event Permit: If your event focuses solely on serving beer, a Temporary Beer Event Permit may be necessary. This permit allows for the sale and consumption of beer in the designated event area. The DABC can guide you through the application process for this permit.

Please note that Utah has specific regulations governing alcohol consumption, including restrictions on serving hours, alcohol content, and other guidelines. To ensure compliance with all necessary requirements for alcohol service at your single event in Utah, it's advisable to consult with the DABC or seek legal advice.
This is a good move by Utah. I have seen many times with public parties or even parties that are advertised on social media and such and how quickly they can get out of hand because of the consumption of alcohol.

Needing permits for public parties or even ones that are classed as private but are advertised on the Internet will help prevent serious issues that occur when things get out of hand involving alcohol.
It's crucial for anyone planning events in Utah to be aware of these alcohol permit regulations. The distinction between public and private events can be a bit tricky, especially when social media is involved. It's good to see that there are clear guidelines provided by the Utah Department of Alcoholic Beverage Services to help organizers understand the process. The 30-day advance application requirement is an important detail to note, and procrastination could indeed cause unnecessary delays or complications. This system appears to strike a balance between allowing responsible alcohol service at events and ensuring that it aligns with the state's regulations. Being informed and following these guidelines is essential for event organizers to avoid any legal issues and to ensure a smooth and successful event.
According to the studies, more people die of alcohol-related conditions compared to drug abuse. Yet, alcohol is sold freely and is never considered a threat to society. I think this is a good move from Utah authorities to make party organizers get alcohol permits. Since this regulation does not ask for permits for private parties, I don't think anyone should have any issues against this regulation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.