Recreational pilot's permit in Indiana?

StrictlyUrban

Total posts
Does anyone know how to go about getting a recreational pilot's permit in Indiana? I have a nephew who is interested in becoming a pilot, and I'd like to surprise him with flying lessons for his birthday.

I've done a little research on your inquiry and I might have found some answers for you. How old is your nephew? According to my search, he must be at least 17 years old to get a recreational pilots permit. As well, he will need to have a valid driver's license, pass a written test (knowledge test & practical flight test), have at least 30 hours of flight training, 15 hours of dual instruction and 3 hours of solo cross-country flight.

This seems to be a good site to look into for flight training - Fly with Jeff

Their FAQ on their site has more details as well.

Does anyone know how to go about getting a recreational pilot's permit in Indiana? I have a nephew who is interested in becoming a pilot, and I'd like to surprise him with flying lessons for his birthday.
That's awesome of you. You're an awesome uncle! :) I hope he has a blast learning to fly.
I've done a little research on your inquiry and I might have found some answers for you. How old is your nephew? According to my search, he must be at least 17 years old to get a recreational pilots permit. As well, he will need to have a valid driver's license, pass a written test (knowledge test & practical flight test), have at least 30 hours of flight training, 15 hours of dual instruction and 3 hours of solo cross-country flight.

This seems to be a good site to look into for flight training - Fly with Jeff

Their FAQ on their site has more details as well.
Weird, why is the age 17 and not 18? I suppose starting at 17 gives you time to train so when you do turn 18 you'll be ready to fly? That's my guess anyway. I was going to take of flight training in my 20s, but never went through with it.

Thank you so much for sharing your research with me, @Winny. You've been incredibly helpful. I tried finding the information, but I had less luck with Google. Sadly, I'll have to come up with another gift idea, because my nephew is too young. I'll keep this one in my back pocket for his 18th birthday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back