Tree Permits update for Firewood from The Indiana Department of Natural Resources

Shortie

Total posts
An announcement has been made by The Indiana Department of Natural Resources that downed trees in the following three state parks are available as firewood.

Shades State Park
Turkey Run State Park
Tippecanoe River State Park

Those interested can obtain a permit to cut certain trees at Shades State Parks and Turkey Run from the 8th of December 2023 to the 28th of February 2024. The process is a little different at Tippecanoe River State Park, with permits available from the 11th of December 2023 to the 1st of March 2024.

Firewood that is chopped and collected is for personal use only and cannot be sold. The cost of the firewood stands at $10 per pickup truckload

All proceeds from permits will go towards supporting restoration efforts and resource management, including tree replacement in public places.

You can read more about this in the following article here

Are the permits free? I figure the $10 per pickup truckload is for every time you want to go out and collect wood, as long as you have a permit to do so. If I lived in the area I'd take advantage of this, my parents lived in a home with wood heating and they always looked for deals like this.

I wish more areas would consider doing this. Where I live we have a lot of downed trees and no one has dealt with them yet. We expect the state to handle them, but haven't bothered. I think if they were to implement a system like this, where you can get a permit to collect said downed trees as firewood. I bet people will pounce on that opportunity. And it gets people to help clean up the environment in the process.

This is certainly great news for people looking forward to collecting firewood for warming up this winter season. The news mentions that charges for truckload pickup are just $10. Is this just for pickup or does it also include the permit fees? By the way, are there any permit processes and fees associated with this provision?

I think it's great that The Indiana Department of Natural Resources is allowing people to obtain permits to cut downed trees for firewood in these state parks. It not only provides an opportunity for individuals to gather firewood for personal use but also supports restoration efforts and resource management. By charging a reasonable fee of $10 per pickup truckload, they are ensuring that the process is accessible while also generating funds for important initiatives like tree replacement in public places. This initiative seems like a win-win for both the community and the environment.

This is some great news. It is also reasonable for anyone wanting firewood to keep warm as the fee is only $10.
This permit will help many out a great deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back