People want services, but not in their backyard

JoeT

Total posts
Lots of people want natural gas, but few are willing to put up with the natural consequences to make it happen. In order to drill for natural gas, companies generally put up large, unsightly rigs that are noisy and cause air pollution. Naturally, these rigs are a nuisance for the local residents. As one company seeks a permit to expand their operation, some citizens of Arlington are saying that they've had enough. You can read more about the story here. What are your thoughts on the topic?

Lots of people want natural gas, but few are willing to put up with the natural consequences to make it happen. In order to drill for natural gas, companies generally put up large, unsightly rigs that are noisy and cause air pollution. Naturally, these rigs are a nuisance for the local residents. As one company seeks a permit to expand their operation, some citizens of Arlington are saying that they've had enough. You can read more about the story here. What are your thoughts on the topic?
Yeah it's the cost citizens have to make if they want natural gas in their community. I personally am split on it myself. I understand we need to find ways of providing this fuel without making it a burden on the citizens. I think having drilling being done in less densely populated areas is ideal, if possible. If it's in the middle of nowhere, people likely won't be so worried about it, especially with the noise pollution.

But aside from that, you also have worries about pollution that comes with it. And I know a lot of communities that would not want this sort of thing around or to expand more into the community.

We do need the gas for a lot of things, so I don't think this will ever change, but we can certainly try and find other ways of collecting it that may be safer for everyone.

It's pretty typical, sadly. People want an answer for the homeless population problem, but they object to homeless shelters being erected near their home. It's as common as it is hypocritical.

Supposedly the fracking was the thing some local citizens were annoyed about. One person said it sounded like a plane was going to land there with the sound it was putting off.
It's pretty typical, sadly. People want an answer for the homeless population problem, but they object to homeless shelters being erected near their home. It's as common as it is hypocritical.
Yeah it is very hypocritical when citizens are for helping the homeless but are against certain type of help if it has an affect on them. It's quite sad. In this case though, I think it's more to do with the sound pollution that's bugging people. But it may be a compromise some people have to make in order to live in the area. Maybe they can find ways of dampening the sound so the community isn't hearing constant loud noises.

I can't say that I blame them. Those rigs send smelly fumes into the air, and they're much louder than you'd probably think. If the company wants to expand its permit, let the company pay the people who will be the most affected by the expansion. Then it's a win-win situation.

I think most people are selfish. They want amenities but they do not want to bare the consequences. Many years ago, a company was permitted to set up a cement factory in our town. Local residents were happy as they believed they would be able to sell their lands to the company and also get jobs in the factory. A couple of years later they started protesting against pollution caused by the factory.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back