New Mexico Governor's Attempt to Suspend Concealed and Open Carry of Firearms in the State Blocked by Judge's Ruling

linux.poet

Total posts
After a spate of gun violence in New Mexico that resulted in the deaths of 3 children (13-year-old, 5-year-old, and an 11-year-old), New Mexico governor Lujan Grisham wrote an executive order to suspend concealed and open carry rights in the county where the city of Albuquerque is located. Residents who were caught carrying firearms in public would be subject to a hefty fine.

This was challenged in Federal Court by the organization Gun Owners of America, and U.S. District Judge David Urias blocked the order. The New Mexico Attorney general refused to defend the law and the Bernadillo county sheriff refused to enforce it.

You can read more here.

It's terrible hearing about kids dying to gun violence. It happens all too often in the US. I think there needs to be more education on gun safety. I don't think that taking away the right for a person to conceal or open carry a gun is right. It's not going to stop most people from doing it. I really don't know how they can resolve this, but I hope they figure something out that works for everyone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back