New Maine law requires permit for larger campfires, bonfires

Winny

Total posts
According to this article, Maine law now requires a permit for larger campfires and bonfires. The new law went into effect Oct 25th, called LD 24, it stats that fires cannot exceed three feet in height and three feet in diameter. The only time they can exceed that is for debris disposal. Also under this new law, it's unlawful for residents to burn outdoors during red flag warning days.

If you already have a permit for burning brush and wood debris, that will not be affected by this new law, it is still required under the existing regulations though.

Mainers who intend to have fires above the stated height/diameter requirements must obtain burn permits, you can do so by following this link here.

Why not connect it with the permit to burn debris and brush? Seems counterintuitive to me to have you get two permits. Couldn't they combine it into one permit where you check the option you want to use it for?

Why not connect it with the permit to burn debris and brush? Seems counterintuitive to me to have you get two permits. Couldn't they combine it into one permit where you check the option you want to use it for?
It is meant to be that if you already have a permit in hand, you shouldn't have to file for a permit for this new law until your current permit is up. That's what I got from it at least. You will just have to follow the new regulations that they set.

If you already have a permit for burning things like branches and wood, this new law won't change that. You still have to follow the old rules. People in Maine who want to have fires bigger than what the law says must get a permit.

In my opinion, this new law in Maine aims to keep people safe and protect the environment. By making it necessary to have permits for larger fires, it can help prevent accidents and control the spread of fires. It's also good that the law takes into account environmental concerns by limiting burning on days with red flag warnings. However, it's important for the authorities to make it easy for people to get these permits so that they can still enjoy campfires and bonfires safely.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back