New bill introduced to repeal 33 year old handgun buyer permit law

Jake

Total posts
A new bill is being introduced to repeal a 33 year old handgun permit law. The law as it stands today, requires a person to file a state permit and go through a criminal background check before they can complete a purchase for a handgun. There is much debate about whether it would be a good or bad idea to repeal the law. State Sen. Tom Brewer is at the forefront of the cause, as he introduced the new bill LB 883, witch aims to repeal said law. He believes this new bill will only increase background checks, by requiring it each time you purchase a new handgun, especially if purchased through a licensed dealer. You will be subject to a federal background check under the Brady Act.

Also in support of the bill is the Nebraska State Patrol, as they believe there is a loophole allowing permitted individuals to avoid background checks for three years, even after they committed acts that disqualifies them from the purchase of a new handgun. If the new bill passes, it would close this loophole and allow for background checks for every gun purchase. They believe it beneficial to public safety.

Even with all the good the new bill purports to support, there is still opposition from groups like "Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America" and gun control supporters in general. They instead think the current permit length should be shortened instead of outright repealed. They think it better than repealing, as they indicated issues in other areas that went the repeal route.

On the neutral side was The Douglas County Sheriff's Office, who is in support of local background checks, and wants to make sure identify those persons not found by federal checks.

You can read more about this news here: Nebraska Examiner

What are your thoughts on this? I am split as I think it would be best to support more background checks. I am one who thinks a background check should be done for every single gun purchase you make.

I'm with the Moms on this one, just change the current rules to require a permit every year, along with a background check. I'd say better yet, they should also do a background check every purchase. But I doubt they would go that route, so maybe instead, they could do a background check per permit, so every year. That should be sufficient enough.

And if any crimes are committed, that should revoke the permit or be put on hold or something.

I bet some domestic violence abusers and parole violators take great advantage of the loophole that enables them to avoid a background check for three years. I strongly support gun rights, but I believe ownership should be done safely, so I also support background checks. No one needs a new gun so quickly that they can't wait a few days for the background check to come back.

I'm with the Moms on this one, just change the current rules to require a permit every year, along with a background check. I'd say better yet, they should also do a background check every purchase. But I doubt they would go that route, so maybe instead, they could do a background check per permit, so every year. That should be sufficient enough.

And if any crimes are committed, that should revoke the permit or be put on hold or something.
I'm in agreement with the Moms on this one too. It's crazy to me that some of these people get away with not having to get a background check because of those 3 year time limits. It should be yearly and each year you should have to go through a background check. Especially when these guys can commit certain crimes in that 3 year span, and still legally own a gun. It doesn't make sense.
I bet some domestic violence abusers and parole violators take great advantage of the loophole that enables them to avoid a background check for three years. I strongly support gun rights, but I believe ownership should be done safely, so I also support background checks. No one needs a new gun so quickly that they can't wait a few days for the background check to come back.
I imagine they do a lot of the time, which is why this needs to change to yearly at least. It all comes down to safety, and I don't think it's going to hurt gun owners to have to take a background check every year when owning a gun. Sure some may find it annoying, but you got to meet people in the middle a bit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back