New bill allowing for trapping, neutering & releasing feral cats in South Dakota

Jake

Total posts
A new bill, SB 1172, has been signed into law by Governor Kristi Noem, that now makes it legal for some organizations to trap, neuter, and release feral cats in South Dakota. Organizations like Sioux Empire Trap Neuter and Release will now be legally allowed to do exactly that, as they will be allowed to operate and address the ever-growing cat overpopulation in the state.

Not only that, but organizations involved in TNR (trap, neuter, release), will also vaccinate cats they take care of before releasing them back where they were found, as long as it's a safe environment. Their aim is to control the population, but also to make sure any cats released back out are healthy and less likely to spread diseases to other feral cats in the area.

Next steps are to align TNR activities with city ordinances, by getting local governments involved. They would like to expand the efforts of TNR in the area, while also respecting regulations and the needs of the community.

If you'd like to take a look at the article on this news, you can read that here: Dakota News Now

I think we need bills like this all over the US. The cat population can be a problem, especially with the amount of stray cats out there. I live in Michigan, and we have some strays that area round, but they aren't a huge menace. But having a system like this in place, helps curb the population growth of those stray cats. I think most cities and states need to implement a system like this for cats and even dogs and other pets that people let go to the wild.

This is a good move, now we just need to see it happen in many other cities and states.

This is great news indeed. I hope other states follow suit. I remember seeing this somewhere in Europe; I think it was in Turkey. They have way too many cats, so the local municipalities started doing this with street cats and dogs.

This is great news indeed. I hope other states follow suit. I remember seeing this somewhere in Europe; I think it was in Turkey. They have way too many cats, so the local municipalities started doing this with street cats and dogs.
It would be great if this sort of measure is done in every state and even every country. Feral cats and dogs can be a problem, especially if their population isn't in check. In some areas there is no control and the rise in cat population causes problems. If it's not the state or government stepping up to help with this problem, it means that citizens than take on that responsibility. Of course most people would ignore it, but there are groups out there that are going out there and doing this all on their own without the aid from the state or government.

This new bill should make things a lot easier for these organizations to do the good work they do.

Neutering animals to control over population is better than killing animals for over population. I think this is a really good move in South Dakota. I think this rule should also be applied on other animals as well but sadly they are giving hunting permits in the name of controlling over population.

Neutering animals to control over population is better than killing animals for over population. I think this is a really good move in South Dakota. I think this rule should also be applied on other animals as well but sadly they are giving hunting permits in the name of controlling over population.
100% agree. It's a lot safer to go this route, as it ensures the population doesn't increase, and any strays still out there are also safe. And I agree, they should do the same for dogs and other pets that are known to overpopulate. Especially when it comes to other types of pets that go missing or end up abandoned.

While some animal rights activities say that neutering or spaying pets is cruelty against animals, I think it is better to control population through this method instead of overpopulating the animal centers and letting them put down these animals to rest for ever. When it comes to pets, a lot of people are irresponsible, they abandon these pets. Having a pet means a long term commitment, if you are not ready never adopt a pet.

It never occurred to me that a person might need a permit for doing this. I've trapped several stray cats and had them fixed over the years. I guess I'd better check on the legality of it in my jurisdiction. Thanks for bringing up the topic, Jake.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back