Iowa Senate approves bill allowing teachers and school staff to carry guns

Jake

Total posts
Well I don't think I saw this coming, but it's now legal in Iowa for teachers and school staff to carry guns on school property. The Iowa Senate recently approved a bill with a vote of 30-14, allowing exactly that. School employees would of course need to obtain a permit to carry, but that seems to be all that is required of them. Iowa schools will also employ school resource officers in their high school buildings.

This new bill was set in motion after a devastating school shooting back in January. But there are people against the new bill and think giving guns to school employees is not the way to go. What are your views on this yourself? Do you think that schools should allow teachers and staff to carry guns if they are legally permitted to do so? Or do you think this could cause further issues down the road?

Find out more below:

I don't know what to think about this. I think this could turn into school employees abusing said power. Who's to say they will have the training to properly de-escalate a situation before going to their guns. Guns should always be a last resort tool imo. Some teachers may want to actually use their guns in a case of a school shooting or another threat. So that's another concern. How many teachers will want to pull out a gun and save the day?

There's a lot of scenarios where this could go wrong, and honestly I think the best thing to do is to keep a gun free zone at all schools.

As strange as it seem, the decision to allow the teachers and school staff to carry guns is a very controversial topic and it needs a lot of concentration but from my point of view, it will enhance the safety at school but it poses a lot of significant risk too.

I find this preposterous. Instead of gun controlling, they are trying to arm people. What if a student opens fire in the class? Should the teacher also take out his fire am and start shooting? Why can't they control gun ownership and make strict requirement for carrying firearm?

I don't know what to think about this. I think this could turn into school employees abusing said power. Who's to say they will have the training to properly de-escalate a situation before going to their guns. Guns should always be a last resort tool imo. Some teachers may want to actually use their guns in a case of a school shooting or another threat. So that's another concern. How many teachers will want to pull out a gun and save the day?

There's a lot of scenarios where this could go wrong, and honestly I think the best thing to do is to keep a gun free zone at all schools.
And another thing, what if these students somehow get their hands on these guns? We also don't know if these teachers will be properly trained. It says they will have tons of training, but will they retain it? If anything, I'd rather a guards placed in our schools than putting guns in the hands of teachers and staff.
As strange as it seem, the decision to allow the teachers and school staff to carry guns is a very controversial topic and it needs a lot of concentration but from my point of view, it will enhance the safety at school but it poses a lot of significant risk too.
It's very controversial. I understand why it's being done, but I don't see it really protecting others. I think it could backfire and result in further school shootings.
I find this preposterous. Instead of gun controlling, they are trying to arm people. What if a student opens fire in the class? Should the teacher also take out his fire am and start shooting? Why can't they control gun ownership and make strict requirement for carrying firearm?
That's the US, never willing to compromise by putting more controls on firearms. It's not like they have to take guns away, just find ways of stopping the endless violence the US suffers on the daily. Mental health is also something we need to take more seriously.

Unless you are trailed like a police or a military, you cannot control guns with guns. Allowing people carry guns in the name of personal safety will only worsen the situation. Maybe strict checking of the people who enter the school campus could stop gun violence in the school premises in some way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back