Home office, not my residence


Feb 15, 2024
I've run into a tricky permitting issue that I'm not sure how to work out. I'd like to treat clients out of a home office. The tricky part is that it's not my residence. Instead of using my home, I'd run the business out of my parents' house. What permits, if any, would I need for this operation?
United States
I'm not 100% certain, but I believe you can set everything up by applying for a home occupation permit. You should probably check that the area is zoned for it as well. Good luck; I hope it works out for you, Kay.
That's a good question. I did some digging and found that you need to obtain some licenses and other certain permits in order to run a business outside of a household. I couldn't find much on doing so in another persons house, but I assume you will at least need the homeowners permission to go ahead with said project.

Depending on your area, you may have to apply for a General Business License, Professional License, Health and Safety Permits (depends on type of bysiness), Sign Permit (for advertising), and a Sales Tax License in some locations.

I found this info from these links:
IRS info
Generally speaking, there are no specific permits needed solely for a home office, even when you are opening in a building that is not your residence, however, in some places zoning laws may apply. If you make any alterations to the property or if you get a lot of clients frequently, you might need additional permits or licenses.