Geothermal Power Plants

Melvin

Total posts
I know someone in Europe trying to start a geothermal energy business in some suitable areas there, and the company is having a hard time getting all the permits in place. But I was wondering, for example, here in the US, what kind of permits are required for that? How would one even start with the the process of digging wells etc? I bet it takes at least a few months to get a permit like this?

Last edited:
I don't remember all the permitting requirements exactly, but I recall that they're pretty extensive. The regulatory body generally looks at everything from how the waterways are affected, to how such a project will affect the whole community, and everything in between. It can get really intense.

I have read something similar. The person I mentioned in my earlier post said that each and every step of the process is a bit of a nightmare. Basically, the commercial electricity companies don't really want geothermal energy, as it kind of takes away their business.

I'm hearing it's possible in the US, but that you'd have to take a lot of steps that must be overseen by many regulatory bodies. The Bureau of Land Management will usually have the permits you're looking for. It's needed for anything to do with geothermal power. And it seems like you may be subject to a lot of permits as well. I can't imagine the process would be an easy one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back