General timeframe to receive asbestos removal permit?

JoeT

Total posts
Does anyone know what the general timeframe is to receive an asbestos removal permit? I submitted the application two months ago and still haven't heard anything. I live in Tennessee, if that matters. Does it usually take this long? I've tried calling to check on my application, but no one answers.

Two months wait time is long. Sometimes delays can be caused by a number of things such as incomplete applications, staffing issues, work complexity, etc. Are you sure your delay is not caused by these issues? You can try sending them an email reminder or use the contact form on their website.

I don't think it's odd to wait that long to hear something back. I don't know about yours, but I know that my local board has taken several days off for the holidays. I believe they took a week off for Thanksgiving, and they're taking another week for Christmas. It's a bad time of year to get anything done if you're in a hurry.

Does anyone know what the general timeframe is to receive an asbestos removal permit? I submitted the application two months ago and still haven't heard anything. I live in Tennessee, if that matters. Does it usually take this long? I've tried calling to check on my application, but no one answers.

I'd say the delay is probably related to the time of year you submitted the application, like @StrictlyUrban pointed out. In the federal government at least, employees are subject to a "use of lose" leave policy that requires forfeiture of any unused leave above a certain amount (240 hours for federal employees) if that leave isn't used by the end of the calendar year. The situation could be similar for the county employees in charge of processing your application.

You probably already researched this but it's also worth keeping in mind that a permit isn't required for all asbestos removal activities. In Davidson County, for example, you only need to obtain/display an asbestos removal permit
for activities that would involve "more than 260 linear feet, 160 square feet, or 35 cubic feet of regulated asbestos-containing material or asbestos-containing material that may become regulated during handling and/or disposal" (as stated on Davidson County's application form). Knox County has similar requirements for submitting a Demolition and/or Asbestos Renovation Ten Day Notification Form, though I believe notification is all that's required in Knox County and there isn't any need to obtain/display a permit as part of the process.

Bottom line is you may want to double check your local requirements, or check with the contractor you'll be using, just to be sure you're not exempt from needing a permit in the first place (e.g., if you're removing less than "260 linear feet, 160 square feet, or 35 cubic feet" of asbestos).

Can confirm, a friend of mine years ago was in waiting to do exactly the same thing, it took them a few months to get to it, and normally it would be longer. But, they got lucky because they submitted it earlier in the year.

I'd say keep trying to call them. They may be extra busy during the holiday season. I'd wait until the new year to reach back out, you'd probably have better luck then.

Why would something like this take so long though? Isn't asbestos a very serious issue that should be snubbed out sooner rather than later? So why is it that permits to remove said problems takes so long? You'd think it'd be a point to try and make this process much faster so people can take care of it sooner.

Why would something like this take so long though? Isn't asbestos a very serious issue that should be snubbed out sooner rather than later? So why is it that permits to remove said problems takes so long? You'd think it'd be a point to try and make this process much faster so people can take care of it sooner.

I get what you're saying, but asbestos isn't a hazard unless you're actually disturbing the asbestos-containing material. I can understand how someone might develop a sense of urgency about getting asbestos removed upon learning that they're surrounded by it in their walls, ceilings, flooring, etc. However, because the hazard is only present once demolition has commenced, it won't matter if abatement is delayed one month, one year, or 10 years, as long as the asbestos-containing material remains undisturbed.

I actually had asbestos removed from a house we used to rent from my wife's grandfather in Santa Monica. I know a permit was required but I don't know anything about how the process played out because the contractor handled everything. We didn't experience any delays getting the work done, though, so I'm pretty sure the permitting must have been pretty straightforward.

Thanks for the information, @Eric. It was a contractor buddy of mine who said I'd need the permit. However, he mostly does commercial work, rather than residential, so maybe he didn't know about square feet rule. I'll look into that. That's a good tip. Thanks!

@Nomad, I still haven't been able to reach anyone by phone, so I'll try emailing them next. Thanks for the suggestion. I'd go down there in person, but I'm always at work during their hours of operation.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back