NY State General Permit Now Available to Expedite Recovery Efforts After Major Storm Events

Jake

Total posts
A new permitting program has been set in place by the New York DEC (Department of Environmental Conservation) and USACE (U.S. Army Corps of Engineers) to help streamline the permitting process for cities in need of support from damage received during major storm events. The permit, titled NYSPGP-1 or a State Programmatic General Permit, is designed to authorize help for recovery and restoration of property, aquatic resources, and damage caused to infrastructure during said storms.

As well, it's focus is on environmental safeguards the best management practices. This new process could help with obtaining FEMA reimbursements in time of disaster as well. Especially federally declared disasters.

It is said that the permit will be usable throughout New York State, but excludes Long Island, New York City and portions of Rockland and Westchester counties. As well, it helps with the application process for DEC and USACE regulations, in turn helping expedite the approvals process for for major storm event responses. To read more on this story, you can follow the article here - DEC.NY.GOV

This is great news and a great program to help move the clean up process along at a faster pace. Sometimes cleanup after a major storm can take a while to complete, and in turn you may need help cleaning by bringing in volunteers. And then you have to account for damages and other issues across the area.

So this is great news, as a way to expedite the process and help those groups draw up the required permits faster. It's a great start to a system that could help other areas too.

The only downside to the plan is that it might encourage shady, unlicensed contractors to flock to the area in hopes of making a quick buck. I know they'll still have to work through the approval process, but it sounds like it only takes one agency to give their approval for the permit to go through. That means there'll be fewer eyes on each application.

This new permitting program initiated by the DEC and USACE will of course expedite assistance for cities recovering from storm damage. With a focus on environmental safeguards, it's a step forward in efficient disaster recovery. However, limitations in its coverage is something of concern and I believe there should be some adjustments for comprehensive support statewide.

This is great news and a great program to help move the clean up process along at a faster pace. Sometimes cleanup after a major storm can take a while to complete, and in turn you may need help cleaning by bringing in volunteers. And then you have to account for damages and other issues across the area.

So this is great news, as a way to expedite the process and help those groups draw up the required permits faster. It's a great start to a system that could help other areas too.
It's for sure needed, especially in a time of emergency. It will help a lot in smoothing over the process and making it easier on everyone.
The only downside to the plan is that it might encourage shady, unlicensed contractors to flock to the area in hopes of making a quick buck. I know they'll still have to work through the approval process, but it sounds like it only takes one agency to give their approval for the permit to go through. That means there'll be fewer eyes on each application.
I didn't think of that, that's a really good point to keep in mind. There could very well be nefarious characters who are in it to abuse the system. So maybe there should be some kind of system where it only helps people in the area when they absolutely need it.

I'm all for it! New York is one of the states that's been hit the hardest by devastating storms these past few years. I wonder why they excluded Long Island, New York City, and parts of Rockland and Westchester counties, though?

This is some good news and it is a great way to clean up after a major storm at a faster pace.
It will get everyone working together to recover any damage from the major storm or clean up the streets after a major storm.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back