Change of use permit residential homes

The City of San Diego permits Residential Care Facilities of 6 are fewer people in a single dwelling unit residential zone. However, if the facility would house 7 or more people, San Diego requires that you obtain a conditional use permit as well as follow numerous regulations. You can check out the applicable regulations for San Diego in §141.0312 of San Diego's Municipal Code ( The regulations include requirements pertaining to density of facilities (e.g., "facilities are not permitted within 1/4 mile of another residential care facility"), accommodations ("at least 70 square feet of sleeping space for each resident"), and parking ("one off-street parking space for each employee and one off-street parking space for every seven beds"), among others.

Hope that helps. You'll obviously want to check for comparable provisions in your municipal code to see whether a conditional use permit would be required and what the applicable regulations might be.
I don't think changing the zoning in an area of town is what cities do. Most multi-family homes fit the criteria for assisted living homes anyway, so it's just a matter of making minor ADA type adjustments to an existing home, if need be.
Good point, @High Voltage, you'd almost certainly need to look at ADA as well if converting a residential home to commercial assisted living. I think most of the time you're talking about needing a conditional use permit, as is the case for San Diego, rather than any kind of wholesale zoning change.
How do jurisdictions allow single family homes to change their zoning to assisted living?
Well, it's important to keep in mind that changing the zoning of single-family homes to assisted living facilities can be a complex and time consuming process. The local authorities review your application and other relevant details before making a decision. They may approve the zoning change, deny it, or ask you to make some modifications.
This is a much bigger question. Your question brings in both ADA and Fair Housing, but also addressed what time of assistive living is being done. You need to speak to your local jurisdiction and be up front about the specific type of assisted living you are proposing. These can vary from elderly, developmental disabilities to sober living homes. All of which come with different regulatory challenges at the state level before you even get to the local level.

For further information on this GPT, visit the U.S. National/Federal GPT page.