Washington State Proposes New Stormwater Regulations

Nomad

Total posts
The Washington State Department of Ecology is planning to expand stormwater regulations for transportation facilities. The proposed plan is quite broad compared to existing federal Clean Water Act. New requirements for sampling include 6PPD-quinone sampling for transportation facilities and PFAS sampling for air transport and waste management. The Conditional No Exposure Exemption process will also become strict and require an approval from Ecology. This could potentially delay and complicate compliance for facilities that seek exeptions.
You can read more here

I'm happy to see this implemented. I know that most industries dislike regulations, and I'm sure they'll rail against the changes, but 6PPD-quinone does serious harm to the environment. It's found in higher concentrations during heavy rainfall and when the snow is melting, so it makes sense to account for that. It's seriously toxic stuff.

This is great news. I don't know a whole lot on this sort of stuff, especially stormwater regulations, but if there are harmful chemicals involved and this is to slow that process down, I'm all for it. It's definitely a step in the right direction.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back