Article Understanding Signage Ordinance: A crucial pre-permit step

It's crucial for businesses and individuals to be aware of and adhere to the local zoning regulations to avoid legal issues and ensure that their signs comply with the rules of a particular area. It's important to refer to the specific zoning regulations and sign ordinances of the local jurisdiction for precise guidance. Adhering to the sign regulations will make the permit process hassle free and smooth. Explained below is the process for checking city criteria for signage.

1. Finding out the zone:

Firstly, search your location on Google maps and make sure you know what city, town, county and state you are in. This is called Jurisdiction and this is where you will need to get a permit approval from.

You need to know what the zone of your project location is. Zone is nothing but areas or districts established by the local government to manage and control the land use regulations within a city or jurisdiction. For example your property may be residential, commercial, industrial or mixed use zone. Each zone has different signage allowances. And every jurisdiction has zoning map available on their official website. Rather than pdf maps, try to look for GIS (interactive zoning maps) where you can simply enter your location and get all the relevant details of the property including zoning. It is recommended to take a screenshot / print out this page for future use.

1699716226968.png

2. Understanding the allowances as per ordinance:

Search for “sign ordinance”, “municipal code” or “zoning code” with the name of your jurisdiction and extract the signage portion out of it. Some authentic sources where you can find the ordinances are codelibrary.amlegal.com and library.municode.com. Once you have the sign ordinance in your hand, you can start understanding what the city’s allowances for signage are. Some sections that you may want to read are:

a. Permit exemptions: Chances are you do not need a permit at all. You want to give a read to the “Sign permit exemptions” to confirm if you need a permit. Very small signs, directional signs or refacing of existing signs do not usually need a permit.

b. Prohibited signs: To confirm what is not allowed in your jurisdiction. Pole signs, portable signs, revolving or flashing signs are a few examples that may fall into prohibited signs category. It is worth noting that there is a very thin or almost no chance of getting a prohibited sign permitted to you even on a variance. (Sign variance is a process of making a request or appeal to the city to deviate from the standard sign regulation present in City Ordinance).

c. General regulations: This section will help you in understanding the general things to be kept in mind. Such as illumination type allowed (direct, indirect, halo lit, backlit channel letters etc.) , guidelines about the placement of sign, materials to be used etc.

d. Computation of sign area and height: This section is intended to tell you how to calculate the sign area and height and what parts of sign are to be considered in the calculation. This calculation may vary for each jurisdiction but generally the definite shapes (rectangle, square, circle or another geometric shape) enclosing the sign face are considered in calculation sign area. And height of the sign is generally to be measured from the base of sign structure to the topmost part of sign.

1699716285084.png

e. Signage allowances as per zoning districts: Finally see this section and filter out what you are allowed as per your zone. You may want to note down the type of signs allowed (free standing sign, wall sign, projecting or blade sign etc), maximum sign area, maximum sign height, maximum number of signs, type of illumination (internal, external, EMC), minimum setbacks and minimum vertical clearance required for each type of sign that you are proposing in your design.

Maximum sign area may depend on the linear frontage (or length) of your store front for example, You may be allowed 1 square foot of sign area on every 1 foot of length of your storefront. Or it may also depend on other factors such as the speed of the road where the sign is facing.

Minimum setbacks are nothing but the distance to be maintained clear between the sign and the public right of way or edge of street or lot lines.

Minimum vertical clearance is the vertical distance between the ground and the bottom most part of sign that is to be kept clear for safe crossing of pedestrians or vehicles underneath the sign.

1699716339965.png

Sight triangle is also to be kept clear for the freestanding signs. Sight visibility triangle or visibility sight triangle, is an area at street intersections or driveways that must remain clear of obstructions or signs to ensure the visibility of oncoming traffic. It’s usually 30’ triangle or 50’ triangle.

1699716373290.png

Remember!! to never hesitate and reach out to the city at any point. It ensures ongoing compliance with sign ordinances, fosters a better understanding of the rules, and helps maintaining a positive relationship between the community and local authorities.

This was a great read, very informative and right to the point. I learned this the hard way many years ago. I had put up signs in my neighborhood for a yard sale I was hosting, and the police ended up coming to my house letting me know not to put up a sign without a permit.

After that, I always followed the permitting process. :)

Thanks, @Fatima Naz, for sharing your wisdom on this topic! I imagine signage is a fairly routine aspect of permitting for storefronts/commercial properties. In your experience, has the process always gone relatively smoothly? Have you ever encountered challenges working with any particular jurisdictions?

Its very informative and thoroughly explained, impressive 💯 permitting talks become interesting and easy to understand when people explain them in a proper way and this article is clearly one of them, nice work.

Thank you for this insightful article! Firms must comprehend and abide by local zoning restrictions in order to prevent legal issues. It not only ensures compliance but also streamlines the permit process.

Very well written. I would add that if you are wanting to open a business, you also need to check the sign allowances for your specific location with the landlord. I have seen many instances where the comprehensive sign packages approved with zoning are far more restrictive than the general sign codes, because reduced signage was used as a trade off for something else in the zoning case. Be sure you do your due diligence before signing a lease and know exactly what you can and can't do.

This was a great read, very informative and right to the point. I learned this the hard way many years ago. I had put up signs in my neighborhood for a yard sale I was hosting, and the police ended up coming to my house letting me know not to put up a sign without a permit.

After that, I always followed the permitting process. :)

Yikes! It's true that local regulations can sometimes catch us off guard. I'm glad you found the information helpful :)

Thanks, @Fatima Naz, for sharing your wisdom on this topic! I imagine signage is a fairly routine aspect of permitting for storefronts/commercial properties. In your experience, has the process always gone relatively smoothly? Have you ever encountered challenges working with any particular jurisdictions?

You are very welcome Eric!
In my experience, navigating the permitting for commercial properties has generally been smooth. However, there are unexpected challenges in some jurisdictions that's why I try to get a very clear idea of what to do and how to do at a very initial stage through thoroughly understanding the criteria and occasionally a clear communication with city officials. It solves a lot of problems and a lot of time.
The toughest jurisdiction is Newyork to get a permit from is because of its never ending requirements and its just too expensive!

Very well written. I would add that if you are wanting to open a business, you also need to check the sign allowances for your specific location with the landlord. I have seen many instances where the comprehensive sign packages approved with zoning are far more restrictive than the general sign codes, because reduced signage was used as a trade off for something else in the zoning case. Be sure you do your due diligence before signing a lease and know exactly what you can and can't do.

Very true! That's why many jurisdictions have made it mandatory to submit a landlord authorization letter along with a sign permit application just to make sure the business owner / tenant and the landlord are on the same page.

Its very informative and thoroughly explained, impressive 💯 permitting talks become interesting and easy to understand when people explain them in a proper way and this article is clearly one of them, nice work.

Thank you for your kind words Safeer! :) Let me know if you need any help with your permitting process. You can reach out to me at fatimanaz699@gmail.com or using this link , thanks!

that's why I try to get a very clear idea of what to do and how to do at a very initial stage through thoroughly understanding the criteria and occasionally a clear communication with city officials. It solves a lot of problems and a lot of time.

I think what you mentioned here about communication is really key. Reminds me of when I was a teaching assistant in grad school and held office hours. Sure, there's the lecture notes and text books, but success was most assured for those students who came to office hours and talked with the people who were writing the exams. The fact that you readily communicate with city officials to make sure you have the correct understanding would definitely make you more effective than others who aren't as proactive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back