UK - Parking Permits in the UK, England

Shortie

Total posts
Parking permits in the UK are something that is needed to allow drivers to be able to park in dedicated permit parking bays without suffering any issues with being penalized. It is also one way for those who do not have a permit for their vehicle to park in these areas to get caught.

To get a parking permit in England, you need to go through the Government website and enter your area postcode and you will be directed to your local council's website with more information on parking permits in your area. You can also use the government website in Wales as well to find out more about parking permits in Wales.

Parking permits used to cost £85 in the area I live in but were recently slashed in price by £45 making it now £40 to purchase a parking permit. You can find out how much it will cost for your area by going to your local council to find out.

You can also use the government website if you are in England and also Wales, which you can find here https://www.gov.uk/parking-permit

Thanks for sharing this info!

I also heard at one point that there's a toll if you want to drive around in London. I was reminded of this when I recently read about how New York City will soon be implementing this kind of toll ("congestion charge") for traffic entering Manhattan. It'll be the first time this has even been done in the United States. Fees and permits for parking have always been necessary in big cities for the same basic reasons, i.e., to make sure anyone using up parking spots has a real need for parking as indicated by their willingness to pay and/or proof that they actually reside in the area.

Thanks for sharing this info!

I also heard at one point that there's a toll if you want to drive around in London. I was reminded of this when I recently read about how New York City will soon be implementing this kind of toll ("congestion charge") for traffic entering Manhattan. It'll be the first time this has even been done in the United States. Fees and permits for parking have always been necessary in big cities for the same basic reasons, i.e., to make sure anyone using up parking spots has a real need for parking as indicated by their willingness to pay and/or proof that they actually reside in the area.
That is correct, it is a £15 charge in the congestion zone if you drive in those areas around London between 7 am and 6 pm during the weekdays and 12 pm and 6 pm on weekends.

I know they also have tolls on bridges such as the Humber Bridge as well to help with congestion on the bridge when people are passing over that was well. I know it is a little less to go over that bridge in the UK but usually less than £2 from what I understand.

Parking permits in the UK are something that is needed to allow drivers to be able to park in dedicated permit parking bays without suffering any issues with being penalized. It is also one way for those who do not have a permit for their vehicle to park in these areas to get caught.

To get a parking permit in England, you need to go through the Government website and enter your area postcode and you will be directed to your local council's website with more information on parking permits in your area. You can also use the government website in Wales as well to find out more about parking permits in Wales.

Parking permits used to cost £85 in the area I live in but were recently slashed in price by £45 making it now £40 to purchase a parking permit. You can find out how much it will cost for your area by going to your local council to find out.

You can also use the government website if you are in England and also Wales, which you can find here https://www.gov.uk/parking-permit

The process needed in getting a parking permit in England seems organized and detailed that any one licenced to drive can go through the website to find out how to get the parking permit. I would like to know the reason the price for getting a parking permit was slashed from £85 down to £40. Was there a protest about the pricing or was it just a government decision to help the citizens get parking permit?

Is that a monthly fee or an annual fee? Is that for residential parking or commercial parking? Who is responsible for making parking rules? Are there any free parking zones in England? Do they also charge parking fees in the supermarkets' parking lots? In my place, the municipal government controls parking rules and there are many free parking zones.

The process needed in getting a parking permit in England seems organized and detailed that any one licenced to drive can go through the website to find out how to get the parking permit. I would like to know the reason the price for getting a parking permit was slashed from £85 down to £40. Was there a protest about the pricing or was it just a government decision to help the citizens get parking permit?
I believe it was due to funding given to the councils that allowed them to be able to lower the price from £85 to £40 which I am very sure will have helped a lot of people during the cost of living who tend to buy the parking permit.
Is that a monthly fee or an annual fee? Is that for residential parking or commercial parking? Who is responsible for making parking rules? Are there any free parking zones in England? Do they also charge parking fees in the supermarkets' parking lots? In my place, the municipal government controls parking rules and there are many free parking zones.
All parking permits are valid from the date of purchase for 12 months, you will then need to purchase one when that one runs out to ensure you have a valid parking permit.

It is for parking within residential areas and also parking areas where parking permits are needed as they are parking permit bays.

The council are responsible as far as I am aware of parking rules and they also deal with things such as parking permits in the area. In some places, you may find there are free parking areas but these do tend to be busy and are not always available. There are options for paid parking which you pay for as long as you stay in that parking area. We also have disabled parking spaces but a disabled blue badge does have to be in sight for you to use a disabled parking bay and only those who are disabled can access these.

I believe it was due to funding given to the councils that allowed them to be able to lower the price from £85 to £40 which I am very sure will have helped a lot of people during the cost of living who tend to buy the parking permit.

All parking permits are valid from the date of purchase for 12 months, you will then need to purchase one when that one runs out to ensure you have a valid parking permit.

It is for parking within residential areas and also parking areas where parking permits are needed as they are parking permit bays.

The council are responsible as far as I am aware of parking rules and they also deal with things such as parking permits in the area. In some places, you may find there are free parking areas but these do tend to be busy and are not always available. There are options for paid parking which you pay for as long as you stay in that parking area. We also have disabled parking spaces but a disabled blue badge does have to be in sight for you to use a disabled parking bay and only those who are disabled can access these.

If the funding was increased, it is good since it is more like a permit subsidy for those seeking the parking permit. It is going to make it easier for those seeking parking permits to have it done once they apply. I mean who wouldn't want to get the seeking at less than half the actual price that it was?

Huh that's interesting, here in the states most universities have parking permits for their students but not for the general public. If we want to park in a huge parking lot, we just pay a fee whenever we get to the lot. There are some places that allow you to purchase a parking pass, or a membership package that includes parking. It's good that they cut the price for parking permits, I'm sure that really helps those with families!

Huh that's interesting, here in the states most universities have parking permits for their students but not for the general public. If we want to park in a huge parking lot, we just pay a fee whenever we get to the lot. There are some places that allow you to purchase a parking pass, or a membership package that includes parking. It's good that they cut the price for parking permits, I'm sure that really helps those with families!
A lot of families wouldn't find it easy when the fee was £85. It's not encouraging for anyone to own a car or even drive it out of the house, so it's best to use the public transport services at least you don't get to worry about paying the £85. But it's a great thing for them to cut it down to £40 which is more than 50% slash.

A lot of families wouldn't find it easy when the fee was £85. It's not encouraging for anyone to own a car or even drive it out of the house, so it's best to use the public transport services at least you don't get to worry about paying the £85. But it's a great thing for them to cut it down to £40 which is more than 50% slash.
It definitely is, with the cost of public transport also going up every so often as well, I believe we have seen an increase at least three times in the last year, it also saves people a lot as well with this price drop if they need to travel a lot.

Was the right move and many see that!

It definitely is, with the cost of public transport also going up every so often as well, I believe we have seen an increase at least three times in the last year, it also saves people a lot as well with this price drop if they need to travel a lot.

Was the right move and many see that!
Seriously, the state is supposed to make life easier for the citizens and not always trying to choke them. Inflation is draining everyone and everything. Some people are struggling to eat healthy and still being forced to pay that high fees is unjustifiable. At least, they got this one thing right, so it's a plus for everyone.

I don't really need a parking permit, as parking a motorcycle is generally considered a lot less stress than parking a car. However, this is certainly interesting and something I will take a look into as soon I start driving my car in the colder months. Thanks for sharing.

I think the reduction in parking permit costs in the UK is a welcome change. It makes it more affordable for residents to access dedicated permit parking bays without the fear of penalties. The government's online system for obtaining permits and directing users to local council websites based on postcode is a convenient approach, simplifying the process for everyone. It's essential for local authorities to strike a balance between generating revenue and providing accessible parking solutions for residents. The reduced cost of £40, compared to the previous £85, is a step in the right direction toward achieving that balance.

Wow, that's great. I've never heard of 'parking permits' before. I know there's a fee for parking a vehicle in some areas, but a parking permit, as you explained seems like the best thing for drivers/car owners. And the huge reduction in parking permit prices in the UK is also a great initiative from the government.

I would like to add that every government is supposed to make people's lives easier and not difficult because there are already so many challenges people are struggling with in their lives.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back