TikTok user building mineshaft under suburban home, what trouble can she get into?

Jake

Total posts
This is interesting, a user on reddit recently brought up an interesting topic about a TikTok user who is building a mineshaft under her suburban residential home. I actually caught this persons videos on tiktok in the past and immediately wondered about whether she had permits or not. I didn't know she lived in a suburban neighborhood though. I always assumed she lived out on private land somewhere in the woods where she could get away with doing whatever she wanted. Though I imagine even for private property you need a permit for something like this.

The woman doing this, who goes by engineer.everything, has an IT/software engineering background and has plans of building a castle with the rock and debris she unearthed from digging. Though the digging has caused issues like noise pollution and silica dust in her neighborhood, it doesn't look like she has stopped. Check the video below detailing what she's been doing:

I assume she could get into some serious trouble for not getting a permit, and the reddit user is wondering if there is any legal consequences she could face for not obtaining a permit? Check out the original reddit post here - reddit.

Looking through the reddit post and responses, it looks like she could face some problems, especially several legal consequences. Since it sounds like she's doing unpermitted work, it could result in a stop work notice being issued, requiring her to finally obtain a permit along with making sure the construction is compliant with code. Or she may be required to get a permit to remove the unpermitted work, but I don't see her wanting to go that route.

She really should get her permits in order, because if she continues to ignore any notices, it could lead to severe penalties, such as the property outright being condemned, along with possible fines. And the neighbors aren't happy, especially with the noise pollution and silica dust generated from the project. She could very well be breaking nuisance laws, which could lead to a civil suit springing up against her.

Another issue that comes to attention is that we don't know if this was all built to code, so that could be another issue she has to address. Also, how close is she to neighbors? I'm sure homeowners don't want her to also build into their properties either. The silica dust could cause health issues as well.

She should really work with the city she is in and make sure whatever she does is within code and is allowed. Because I don't think she's working to code or has a legal right to build a mineshaft like this.

That's what I sort of thought. I heard recently she was attempting to get a permit in order, but there may be other issues, especially with the silica dust. She could also die from the exposure to it. And who knows whether her house is even up to code anymore with the recent construction.

Thank you for the response in regards to this. This woman is not giving up though, she is hell bent on making her tunnels.

That's what I sort of thought. I heard recently she was attempting to get a permit in order, but there may be other issues, especially with the silica dust. She could also die from the exposure to it. And who knows whether her house is even up to code anymore with the recent construction.

Thank you for the response in regards to this. This woman is not giving up though, she is hell bent on making her tunnels.
I really don't understand how she was able to get away with this for so long. She was posting on tiktok for quite a while. I saw her original post what feels like months ago. I heard she was looking into that too, looks like she has posted an update that she intends to apply for the required permits:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back