San Antonio ACS enacting "Dangerous Dog" map

Winny

Total posts
I never knew this was a thing, but according to an article here on Axios, San Antonio's Animal Care Services (ACS) has launched a new database that will show you exactly where dangerous dogs reside in the area. The new database is in response to two deadly dog attacks that happened this year. Dogs that are put on the "Dangerous Dogs" list, are listed based on sworn witness statements and investigations. They receive this label if they attack someone unprovoked, or show intention of a possible attack.

If you're an owner of a dog on that was put on said list after an attack, you will have to comply with state requirements going forward in order to keep your dog, those being:
  • $100,00 liability insurance policy
  • Warning signs posted on your property
  • Must attend pet ownership classes
  • Dog must be muzzled outside
  • Dog must be microchipped
  • And finally, spayed and or neutered
If you fail to meet any of these requirements, your dog will be taken and euthanized. As well, if a "dangerous" dog has no known owner, they likely will be euthanized after rabies testing.

I think it's good to have a map like this, but I feel like it could shame pet owners in some ways. Dogs can change with good support and training from their owners. But dogs can also be unpredictable and can attack even when well trained. I welcome education towards pet owners, so that they raise their pets to be well behaved.

What do they do with dogs that aren't known? Do they just map where the attacks occur as well? I think that would be a good addition, a map that shows where most dog attacks occur and figure out the best course of action from there. Of course, knowing what owners have dangerous dogs, helps me stay clear of those locations.

I think it's good to have a map like this, but I feel like it could shame pet owners in some ways. Dogs can change with good support and training from their owners. But dogs can also be unpredictable and can attack even when well trained. I welcome education towards pet owners, so that they raise their pets to be well behaved.
I think it's good to shame owners who don't take care of their dogs. Maybe shaming them will help them to realize to take care of their pets and not neglect them to a point where they lash out at other people by biting or attacking. I think this could work in pushing people to repair their dogs behavior.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, it seems like a good idea to warn people, especially those with young children, about the dogs they should avoid. On the other hand, it might encourage some people to mistreat, or even kill, those animals. It also feels like governmental overreach.

This new database by San Antonio's Animal Care Services seems like a good initiative to ensure public safety and hold owners accountable for their dogs' behavior. While it may have the potential to shame pet owners, education and support should be emphasized to encourage responsible ownership. Dogs can be unpredictable, but proper training and responsible pet ownership can mitigate risks and prevent future incidents.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back