Pulling Your Own Permits

TradeJack

Total posts
I have been told I can save money by pulling my own permits for electrical work that needs to be done on a house I own. Does anyone know if there is truth to that?

I've personally had minor electrical work done (e.g., adding one outlet) without pulling a permit. So obviously that's the most affordable option of all, depending on how extensive the work is relative to your assessment of risk associated with foregoing permitting/inspections. I would always ensure permitting happens where my safety or the salability of my house are at all at issue, though.

If you are interested in handing permitting yourself, my basic understanding is that if you're skilled enough to complete any required drawings and communicate the technical details in your application, then permitting staff should generally be able to help guide you through the process. After all, it's not you or your contractor who really matter for permitting, but rather the permitting staff and their inspectors, so if you can work effectively with them that's all that matters. This isn't my area of expertise, but it seems like it might be worth trying to do yourself, especially if the contractor's quote for that line item is relatively high and you possess the requisite technical know-how.

Well, I believe that it actually depends on the kind of work project that you have in mind of carrying out in your home and also if you have the skill and knowledge to see through the whole permitting plans, I believe that it's something that can be done. In a situation where it's a very big project, I don't think that it's something you would know your way abouts on how to do it.

Electrical contractors, especially with an ROC, charge for time and labor. Since it takes both to fill out a permit, you will pay for that and the cost of the permit. So yes, you can save money by doing it yourself. If the contractor also comes out to meet the electrical utility company that provides an inspection for jobs that require permits, the contractor will charge for that as well. If you want to save money and can do these things yourself, by all means do them.

It's fantastic that you can do electrical work, @TradeJack. I would love to have a handy skill like that. I'm not sure whether you'll be able to go it alone in this case, since some jurisdictions actually require a licensed contractor to pull the permit. Even if you do all the electrical work yourself and fill out the forms alone, a licensed contractor will still need to sign it, usually while at the courthouse. So it really just depends on where you reside and whether you're actually a licensed contractor.

Well, it's technically possible for homeowners to pull their own permits for certain types of work, including electrical work,
however, it is essential to check with your local building department to understand the rules and requirements in your area. If you have a solid understanding of electrical systems and are confident in your ability to complete the work safely and in compliance with local codes, pulling your own permit may be an option. Electrical work can be complex, and mistakes can lead to safety hazards, code violations, or damage to your property. Therefore, if you are not experienced, it's generally advisable to hire a licensed electrician.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back