Permits issued but inspections never conducted under previous homeowner

Eric

Administrator
Staff member
Total posts
I noticed this Reddit post where the author describes going into Solano County Building Department's online permit tracking system and noticing that two permits were issued under the prior owner in 2016 but that the permits were never finalized. The author is wondering if there will be costs/risks associated with approaching the County about the permit at this stage to get the final inspection completed and the permit finalized. I know that generally permits can expire in this situation but permit expiration doesn't seem to be something Building Departments necessarily take action on. In any case, I agree the appropriate step here is for the author to get in touch with the County to get peace of mind that the work was done to code and get the permitting issue resolved.

Could it be possible that the inspection was done and that the inspector dropped the ball on getting his paperwork turned in concerning it?

I was under the impression that if an inspector showed up on a property and the work did not pass inspection, that all other work had to be paused until the violations were cleared. The inspector would have to be called out again to do another inspection to pass them before further work could be completed. It's possible that the builder ignored the inspector? I'm curious to see what happens next with the investigation.

I am of the opinion that the person currently building should approach the authorities involved to seek for clarifications on the permit issues before proceeding. The important thing with getting a permit clarified is that you save yourself the stress of getting into legal issues in the future. This is why issues with permits in the USA should be taken seriously.

I am of the opinion that the person currently building should approach the authorities involved to seek for clarifications on the permit issues before proceeding. The important thing with getting a permit clarified is that you save yourself the stress of getting into legal issues in the future. This is why issues with permits in the USA should be taken seriously.
Yes, that's why it's always advised to consult your local permitting or building office and seek complete information and guidelines before starting things (building or rebuilding on your own). If you don't take permit issues seriously, it can cause you heavy fines as well as unbearable mental stress.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back