New Protection for Coastal Martens in California and Oregon

Nomad

Total posts
Coastal marten, which is an endangered animal, is now under protection in northern California and southern Oregon. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has set aside 1.2 million acres land to protect the animal. Now, any future federal project needs to consider the impact on these species before commencement. This decision affects federal projects, funding, and permits in these protected areas. Interestingly, land owned by timber companies as well as land owned by the tribal are not included in this protection, instead they have a separate agreements for monitoring and conservation.

You can read more here

I'm so glad there is a protection order out. I think it's great, that as the human race, we attempt to protect the endangered animals like this. Just sucks that we need it to get to this point before people make an attempt to save them.

It sounds like they really are working on a good plan to protect these animals and their land.

That's some great news. We need to protect these animals along with other endangered animals. I think it's a step into the right direction when it comes to protecting endangered animals.

Will this really help, though. Call me cynical, but the language in the bill has no teeth. "Needs to consider" is an awfully weak standard.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.