Language to require bully breed dog permit

StrictlyUrban

Total posts
Last week, a large bully breed attacked a child in my city. It's the third time that an aggressive bully breed harmed a vulnerable person this year. I've checked my local ordinances and can't find any laws that require owners to get special permits to own bully breeds within the city. I'd like to introduce such a law to the city council, but I have no idea where to start. Is there a template I can use?

I'm really sorry to hear your city is having this problem. Seems like some people want these breeds for their own personal security but the dogs end up being more of a hazard to society than anything else. What's wrong with just getting an alarm system?

Kudos to you for taking action, though, and seeing if anything can be done to better regulate aggressive dogs in your area.

A few months ago there was a thread discussing San Antonio's new "dangerous dog" map. You might start there and see if that points you in the right direction. In San Antonio, any dog that attacks someone unprovoked, or shows intention of attacking, gets added to a registry/online map managed by San Antonio's Animal Care Services (ACS). Details about the program can be found on San Antonio ACS' website at this link.

I hope you have success bringing this to law. I think it really comes down to drafting a proposal, what you want to do, what you think needs to be done, etc. I found this site that has a lot of templates you can use - https://openlawlib.org/ordinance-templates-and-examples/

You could also go to a local town hall meeting, and bring up your proposal there. I've heard people found success in that way.

I'm really sorry to hear your city is having this problem. Seems like some people want these breeds for their own personal security but the dogs end up being more of a hazard to society than anything else. What's wrong with just getting an alarm system?
Yeah I don't know. One could argue about the price, but owning and caring for a dog is not cheap either, so it's one or the other, and I go with what doesn't cause more trouble. And an alarm system is much safer than an unpredictable dog, especially with a bully breed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.