Indialantic officials reviewing building code laws to avoid "man cave" situation

Jake

Total posts
A man in Indialantic Florida is getting in some trouble with the city, especially with his neighbors for a "Man Cave" he built out of two shipping containers, one put atop the other. The structure is visible to his neighbors. Shipping containers in Florida may be used as a means of storage, yet stacking of containers is not permitted.

Even though it's something the state likely wouldn't allow, the homeowner was still able to obtain a permit for the work and all of his plans were approved by planning and zoning officials, some even reviewing them more than 34 times. So all looked to be in order. But, once construction began in September, neighbors started to take notice and called attention to it, resulting in construction stopping.

The state said that the homeowner's permit being accepted was due to a "process failure", and that they are legally allowed to revoke the permit. It's also likely that he will be forced to take the structure down due to it likely not being within code.

If built, it would have been an estimated $68,000 project, that includes around 670-square-feet of living space, two balconies and a spiral staircase. But it's looking like he will have to stop all progress for now, as a code enforcement building official will have a look into it all at an upcoming city council meeting on Feb. 14.

What do you think about all of this?

You can read more about this news here: Florida Today

Florida should get with the times. Container homes are becoming more popular. I see no issue if someone builds something to code, but rules are rules. It does sound like he filed the required permits, even has it all inspected, so I don't know what the big issue is. Is it just an eye sore for neighbors? Does it cut into their eyelines or something?

And I get that his neighbors are concerned this could result in more structures popping up in neighbors backyards, especially if the code is changed.

So, in Florida you can build one story shipping container home but you cannot build multi story shipping container home by stacking containers? That's so silly of them. I think this kind of permitting rules should be challenged in court if they are not amending it.

Florida should get with the times. Container homes are becoming more popular. I see no issue if someone builds something to code, but rules are rules. It does sound like he filed the required permits, even has it all inspected, so I don't know what the big issue is. Is it just an eye sore for neighbors? Does it cut into their eyelines or something?

And I get that his neighbors are concerned this could result in more structures popping up in neighbors backyards, especially if the code is changed.
I agree. And it seems like this guy had many inspections and reviews done on the build that all seem to have passed. I think as long as it's all built to proper code otherwise, it should be fine. They could also try to lobby to change the rules to allow stacking of containers, but I don't know if that would work.

So, in Florida you can build one story shipping container home but you cannot build multi story shipping container home by stacking containers? That's so silly of them. I think this kind of permitting rules should be challenged in court if they are not amending it.
It seems so, but you can only use the container for storage needs. I don't think you can use it as a living space. I think these rules could be changed with some lobbying in the area. Maybe he can try to get a vote on it or something.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back