Driveway work could require highway occupancy permit, PennDOT says

Winny

Oct 30, 2023
If you're a property owner in Pennsylvania and are interested in doing work on your driveaway, you will now be required to obtain a Highway Occupancy Permit from PennDOT if the work is being done along state-maintained roads. PennDOT wants to ensure that the driveaway being constructed or repaired complies with all transportation regulations and safety standards.

Having your Highway Occupancy Permit ensures that your driveaway meets state standards when aligning with state roads. It will also prove that you're following all laws and regulations in regards to your driveaway. If you are a property owner and intend to start any work on your driveaway, including construction or any modifications, it is recommended that you apply for a permit prior to starting any work. They are aiming to streamline safety assessments and maintain their infrastructure's integrity.

I guess it makes sense to require a permit like this before doing any work on your driveway, especially if it's near to any state roads. I imagine this won't matter if your driveaway is on private property.

You can read this news here: Indiana Gazette

I think it's similar here in Wisconsin, if your property is near a public or state road and you want to pave/repair/make a driveaway you will need a permit in order to do it. I hear you are required to file a state highway connection permit in Wisconsin.

State DOTs, not just PennDOT, must have to do lots of outreach for this kind of driveway permitting requirement. I'm sure lots of driveways connect with government-owned roads in this kind of way, and when you're talking about that many people, it seems unlikely that everyone's going to be 100% compliant (whether intentionally or unintentionally). Hopefully paving companies are generally aware of the requirements and make it their business to help homeowners navigate the permit process.

The article mentions that "PennDOT will review the driveway location for compliance with applicable laws and regulations...in order to eliminate costly problems that the property owner might otherwise face, such as relocating the driveway." A driveway can be so expensive to put in. I'd hate to be the homeowner that pays $50K to construct a driveway only to later be notified by the state that I have to relocate all or part of it. I'm sure that happens and what a mess that must be. I definitely wouldn't cut corners when it comes to getting driveway work permitted.

State DOTs, not just PennDOT, must have to do lots of outreach for this kind of driveway permitting requirement. I'm sure lots of driveways connect with government-owned roads in this kind of way, and when you're talking about that many people, it seems unlikely that everyone's going to be 100% compliant (whether intentionally or unintentionally). Hopefully paving companies are generally aware of the requirements and make it their business to help homeowners navigate the permit process.

The article mentions that "PennDOT will review the driveway location for compliance with applicable laws and regulations...in order to eliminate costly problems that the property owner might otherwise face, such as relocating the driveway." A driveway can be so expensive to put in. I'd hate to be the homeowner that pays $50K to construct a driveway only to later be notified by the state that I have to relocate all or part of it. I'm sure that happens and what a mess that must be. I definitely wouldn't cut corners when it comes to getting driveway work permitted.
Yeah true, not everyone is going to build it to the specifications that the city or state requires. If I am ever to build a new driveaway on my property, I'm for sure going to reach out to city officials first before doing anything.

I too wonder how many people have done work on a driveway, only to find out that it's not up to the states standards or regulations and they have to rebuild after. I didn't know driveway construction was so expensive though. And yeah, when it comes to something like this, I wouldn't dare cut corners when it comes to this kind of work.

Back