Do you need a permit to be a Uber/Lyft driver in most locations?

Jake

Total posts
Of course all drivers need a license to drive, but are they required to have a permit to also provide a taxi service? Similar to the likes of Uber and Lyft.

I'm aware some locations may require a permit. But what can one usually expect in most cases? What kind of permits would be required? Would you also need a work permit to work as a Uber driver?

It may depend on your city & state, but according to the Uber site I see no mention of permits, but they do have rules such as having a valid license, having said license for at least one year of driving under your belt, but if you're under the age of 25, it'll take 3 years experience driving instead.

You need a 4 door vehicle as well. Those are minimum requirements. There's more in the required documents section, those include; Driver's ID, Proof of residency in your city, state, or province, proof of insurance on vehicle (if using own car), A passing inspection form, a driver profile photo and last but not least, a driver screening.

It's a lot, but it doesn't sound like a permit is required, just what you'd imagine we'd need, a driver's license and some forms and a photo. Sounds easy enough.

You can read about Uber's rules here. I also found lyft's rules here, and they differ in some regards like requiring driving history, DMV check, a background check etc.

So seems you're not required a permit. I wonder if it differs for taxi drivers.

One thing that all drivers need to do is see what extra requirements that their vehicle insurance make mandatory. When we switched our insurance company, the policy explicitly stated that they would not cover any driving for those types of services. I don't know if they had special insurance for permitted drivers though?

In most locations, you need permits to be an Uber driver. You need a driver's license, vehicle registration, and insurance. Apart from these basic requirements, some cities also have specific permits or licenses for ride-sharing. For example, an immigrant might also need work permits.

Almost every state in the United States requires you to get a permit before driving for Uber. The prerequisites for applying for a license differ by city or state, and sometimes even by location. The most frequent types of permits include business licenses, special transportation permits, and driver's licenses, to name a few. If you are a lawfully licensed worker in the United States, you do not need to obtain a separate work permit to work.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back