You Don't need a permit to buy land

Goodness

Total posts
In my location, you don't need a permit to buy a land.
But you sure need a permit to build on the land.

Was wondering, is it obtainable in your location too?

Here in Michigan you do not need permits to buy or own land, but you will need permits to build upon it. I know when you purchase land, you have to make sure to obtain the title, just to make sure whoever is selling has clear ownership before you take it off their hands. You'll likely need to sign a purchase agreement, and do a deed transfer as well. So there is a process pretty much anywhere you do it.

But, if you're uncertain about your area, it's best to check with your local permitting office.

As far as I know, you do not need a permit to buy land in any jurisdictions, all you need to do is sign a purchase agreement and pay ownership transfer fees. However, if you want to build something on the land you purchased, even a simple thing like fence, you need permits.

In a roundabout way, maybe. I think some people try to obtain a septic tank permit before buying the land, because if they can't use the local sewer system, and they can't install a septic tank, then building on that property typically becomes a nonstarter.

Does that count?

Huh, interesting topic. I can't say that I've stumbled across such a permitting law out in the wild, but I wonder if you'd need a special permit to buy land on a tribal reservation. That's one time that I could such a law applying.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back