Would installing Talk tubes for a children’s backyard playground require a building permit?

linux.poet

Total posts
Here’s an image to show you all what I mean:

3917548938_1140x760-Talk-Tubes-Boys.jpg

I understand that freestanding backyard playgrounds are allowed without a permit, but installing these requires some digging.

I’m also thinking that installing them in a house that I plan to raise small children in could be interesting and a good way to keep track of everyone in the house. How difficult would it be for a permit to remodel a house to install them?

Last edited:
I’m also thinking that installing them in a house that I plan to raise small children in could be interesting and a good way to keep track of everyone in the house. How difficult would it be for a permit to remodel a house to install them?

I love this idea! That really does sound fun and interesting. If you wanted to create a serious network of communication-type pipes within the walls of a house, I'm wondering if that might be considered a plumbing system under building code. Obviously, the provisions of plumbing code related to typical plumbing uses (water, waste, natural gas) wouldn't apply, but provisions related to how piping is run might. For example, Section 2903.1.3 of California Building Code requires that "piping, fixtures, or equipment shall not be located in such a manner as to interfere with the normal operation of windows, doors, or other means of egress openings." Your local code may also have other requirements related to how piping in run.

As far as outdoor installation, I think underground utilities may be your biggest concern. That or trenching through our rocky southern California soil. I can't imagine there'd be any permit requirements associated with installing tubes like those shown in the photo you shared. It seems like installing the underground portion of tube would be similar to installing PVC pipe for a sprinkler system, which (as far as I know) doesn't require any permits.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back