Why is this a rule?

Farmaholic

Total posts
I've noticed a common rule while filling out the paperwork for building permits. The application warns that a building permit cannot be issued until the address is certified. I don't understand why there's a need for it. Why would anyone apply for a permit in a random location? It bugs me because the address certification is an additional fee.

That's a good question. I'm not certain, but maybe it's because the inspectors need to know where to go to inspect the building. Or, maybe that's how the city ensures that the new structure will be registered with emergency services.

I think it's due to them needing an exact address of where the build is going to be. Which I think makes sense, because the city will want to know the exact location of the build. I'm sure people have tried to file a permit for a random location, but I would imagine their permit would be declined if no location is set, or you input the wrong address/fake one.

And with the fee, they may be doing work to verify you own the property, as in checking to see if the property even exists. They might have someone actually go to your house/property to make sure it's a legit address.

The fee you're speaking of is due to them having to verify the property, as in sending one of their officers or workers out to verify the address is real. I get it's not fun having to pay an extra fee, but in this case I think it makes sense. They can't just go off of the fact you listed the address, they need to make sure you are who you say you are and own the property in question.

I get it, Fred. It seems crazy to think someone would apply for a permit with the wrong address. Doing so would simply nullify the permit, rather than giving the person an advantage, such as a chance to break zoning laws, since the fraud would be discovered upon inspection. It would be an expensive mistake. Perhaps the city is simply trying to get it right the first time, since it would save resources and unnecessary paperwork.

I know a lot of people who came across a frustrating requirement while navigating the paperwork for building permits. The insistence on address certification before issuing a permit also perplexes me. I also wonder why do you have to apply for a permit without a fixed location in mind? It seems redundant and adds an unnecessary cost burden. This bureaucratic hurdle only adds to the complexities of an already intricate process, leaving me questioning its practicality and relevance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back