What is the one thing you think your permit counter can do a better job of?

mdhami

Total posts
I ask this because I am always thinking of ways to streamline or make things easier for applicants. What are some tips, tricks or advice?
shutterstock-2262541025.webp

Having handouts at the counter, having a station where they can DIY (esp. for electronic submittals).
Just being willing to help out those who don't have a clue and are trying to do the right thing.

I think they can have someone explain how the permitting process actually works and what documents we need. They should at least publish information online so that people know the right methods and documents they need. In absence of proper knowledge, people end up being rejected for permits and they need to start all over again.

Having information on the inspection process: what inspections are going to be required for the permit they are pulling, how to correctly request an inspection, and how inspection scheduling works. We have daily occurrences of inspections being requested for "final inspection" with 0 inspection history. Most of the time, it is because they selected "final" on accident when requesting an inspection, but that still creates an issue from a paperwork standpoint. The other side of that issue; completed work with 0 inspections, creates far more serious problems. Depending on the scope of work, walls or even concrete will need to be opened to perform a proper inspection. Educating contractors and homeowners can help avoid these issues.

I think sometimes we have a “No” or “You should already know this” culture. We have stations and that has helped, but nothing goes further, in my humble opinion, than a genuine willingness to assist! Customer Service is very underrated these days.

I believe that being able to explain what each permit does and how the process works to the customer would be ideal since the people tend to complain a lot when not only the process is tedious but also getting lost and having to start all over.

One area where I believe our permit counter can improve is in streamlining the application process for permits. Simplifying and clarifying the documentation required, providing clearer instructions on how to fill out forms, and enhancing communication regarding the status of applications. This would significantly improve the overall experience for applicants. By reducing confusion and enhancing transparency, we can expedite the permit approval process and ensure a more efficient service delivery to our community.

I think overall, I just want to have a fast experience with the permitting process. I don't want it to be a long drawn out process. The quickest I can get in and out is ideal. There is some great ideas in here, like one being, having self service options. Being able to file electronically right there, would save so much time. Having paper options at the ready. Having people on staff who can guide you through the permitting process as well, depending on the type of permit you are filing.

Having handouts at the counter, having a station where they can DIY (esp. for electronic submittals).
Just being willing to help out those who don't have a clue and are trying to do the right thing.
I like this answer. I really think it's about making sure people have an easy time when obtaining permits.

And having people around to help makes the whole process way easier, especially for people who've never obtain or filed permits before. Having that can be huge to lots of people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back