The Consequences of Not Getting a Building Permit

Honey

Total posts
It is not a wise decision to start building your property without a permit. If you do that, you can face severe consequences, like a heavy penalty from the city/state. It can also cause huge stress and financial loss.

So it's always advised to consult your local permitting office to know exactly what kind of permits you need for building or remodeling your property to avoid any future headaches and loss of money.

A neighbor of mine added an extension to their house, making a little shed attachment to their home. They got a call from the local township about it, but I don't remember if they faced any fines or anything else for it. I think they got a verbal warning.

It happens all over the place though, people working on something without first inquiring about a permit. I think it's mostly that people don't want to pay for a permit on top of having to pay for other expenses. I get that, but if there are fines, it's probably just best to get a permit to not ever have to deal with repercussions like that.

Building without a permit can lead to penalties and financial loss. It is always best to consult your local permitting office to determine the necessary permits for your project.

Building without a permit is never advised and should be something you understand before you work towards doing any kind of building or changing of buildings.

Building without a permit can have severe consequences and can often lead to many issues for yourself. It is wise to take the time to look into what you need before you start any kind of building.

Building or renovating a house without obtaining necessary permits in the United States can have various consequences, both legal and practical. Here are some potential consequences:

Legal Penalties: Local authorities may impose fines for construction work that is done without obtaining the required permits. Authorities may also order you to halt all construction activities until the necessary permits are obtained.
Property Devaluation: If you have built or renovated a house without a permit, you will encounter problems when selling or refinancing the property.
Insurance Issues: Your insurance claims might be denied if your house is built without proper permits

If this was a contractor performing this work without permits, or a homeowner with repeated violations, there is also likely a criminal component that can be tacked on for failure to obtain permits and working without permits.

Another thing to think about is when purchasing a home and you might run into a situation where the previous owners did not get the proper permits for work done on the property. In some instances, something that was built might be required to get torn down. In other instances, you pay a fine and it's all taken care of.

My neighbors got lucky when they bought the house next to us. The previous owners built a shed onto the side of the home without a permit and the town told them that because they hadn't been the ones to do it, that they were okay. That was probably a huge relief for them.

Another thing to think about is when purchasing a home and you might run into a situation where the previous owners did not get the proper permits for work done on the property. In some instances, something that was built might be required to get torn down. In other instances, you pay a fine and it's all taken care of.

My neighbors got lucky when they bought the house next to us. The previous owners built a shed onto the side of the home without a permit and the town told them that because they hadn't been the ones to do it, that they were okay. That was probably a huge relief for them.
Usually they won't penalize people but they will still require the new owner to get permits. When you buy a home or land, you are buying it with "all rights and encumbrances", which means you now own the violations too and can be charged day one when you move in with a code violation.

Usually they won't penalize people but they will still require the new owner to get permits. When you buy a home or land, you are buying it with "all rights and encumbrances", which means you now own the violations too and can be charged day one when you move in with a code violation.

Thanks, Dave, for joining the forum today and sharing your perspective!

I'll add that, in my world at least, "all rights and encumbrances" also extends to compliance with permit conditions. We sometimes see landowners, for example, who've purchased land with permitted impacts and who now must ensure compliance with the special conditions (e.g., completing compensatory mitigation/site protection) to avoid potential non-compliance penalties and/or secure release of performance bonds.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back