Steamboat Springs Parks Announces a New Policy for River Recreation

Nomad

Total posts
Steamboat Springs Parks & Recreation has announced a new policy for commercial river recreation starting January 1, 2025. The policy aims to protect the environment and streamline operations. Disposable tubes will be banned, and retailers must sell tubes with a minimum thickness of 24-gauge PVC material or higher. The city will implement a three-year permit renewal process. Permits will be granted based on the operators' adherence to criteria and the impact on the Yampa River's health. The city will decline permit reissue or reduce trip allocations if criteria aren't met. Additionally, the policy outlines rules for transferring permits during business ownership changes. The changes aim to foster responsible river recreation while supporting outfitters meeting environmental standards.
You can read more on this change of policy here

I've used the cheaper swim tubes in the past, so I can understand where they're coming from here. Those rubber tubes can in turn be lost to the waters, and who knows what could happen with them after. It's pollution and waste either way you put it.

To me, this means they are going to make sure these tubes are better made and more stable. At least I hope this is what the outcome turns out to be.

There's got to be so much waste these rivers eat up on the daily. I can only imagine the amount of tubes that were lost over the years. I doubt this will stop most people from using these disposable tubes.
I've used the cheaper swim tubes in the past, so I can understand where they're coming from here. Those rubber tubes can in turn be lost to the waters, and who knows what could happen with them after. It's pollution and waste either way you put it.

To me, this means they are going to make sure these tubes are better made and more stable. At least I hope this is what the outcome turns out to be.
I think it comes down more to responsible people purchasing the right type of equipment to enjoy the river. You will need the heavy duty tubes in order to ride the river. Most other tubes will likely pop at the first use anyway, further causing waste to enter the river.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back