Should you still obtain a concealed carry permit?

Winny

Total posts
I came across a question on Reddit recently about concealed carry permits, and whether you should obtain a permit or not from your local sheriff's office. The user who asked the question, wondered if he could face any trouble for not obtaining a permit first, and had some worry that if he informed the government he had an unpermitted weapon on him, that he could face problems with the Government. He seems a bit worried about letting the Government know even when he is permitted to conceal carry the weapon. How much trouble could he face if he's not permitted? What is the governments attitude towards people who carry unpermitted?

Check out the discussion here - Reddit.

When it comes to any form of weaponry, including guns, it's ideal go obtain a concealed carry permit. Understanding the legal framework of it all is important. It may be a scary feeling to let the government know you own a gun, but it's important to do so, as it shows you're a law abiding citizen who is up to date on their permits and have undergone the usual background checks. Having your permit and background checks in order helps when it comes to interactions with the police.

In some states where they don't have constitutional carry laws, carrying a concealed weapon is illegal. Which means you're at more risk if you're unpermitted, so much so that you could even face criminal charges because of it. Even in states that do allow concealed carry, having the permit gives you more advantages, like being legally able to carry concealed weapons across some state lines.

Plus, being permitted helps move things along faster, like purchasing a new gun, with some states even allowing you to bypass waiting periods if you're permitted.

It really comes down to what you think. If you want to be safe, get permitted. Unless maybe you don't intend to carry the weapon with you. The best suggestion I can give, is to look at your local and state laws on what is allowed and what isn't, and what needs a permit and vice versa.

When it comes to any form of weaponry, including guns, it's ideal go obtain a concealed carry permit. Understanding the legal framework of it all is important. It may be a scary feeling to let the government know you own a gun, but it's important to do so, as it shows you're a law abiding citizen who is up to date on their permits and have undergone the usual background checks. Having your permit and background checks in order helps when it comes to interactions with the police.

In some states where they don't have constitutional carry laws, carrying a concealed weapon is illegal. Which means you're at more risk if you're unpermitted, so much so that you could even face criminal charges because of it. Even in states that do allow concealed carry, having the permit gives you more advantages, like being legally able to carry concealed weapons across some state lines.

Plus, being permitted helps move things along faster, like purchasing a new gun, with some states even allowing you to bypass waiting periods if you're permitted.

It really comes down to what you think. If you want to be safe, get permitted. Unless maybe you don't intend to carry the weapon with you. The best suggestion I can give, is to look at your local and state laws on what is allowed and what isn't, and what needs a permit and vice versa.
Thank you for the fast response. I thought so too. I think in this case it's just best for everyone to get permitted. It sounds like he's worried and stressed out about the whole process, so I think it's even more reason to go ahead and file for the permit. Be honest with them and let them know you own the gun, and want to make sure you're legally allowed to carry it on your person.

Thanks for the answer!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back