Permit fees increasing

Fenix

Total posts
I received a notification last week that all building and planning permit fees in the surrounding counties were going up by $2 to $4. The fee increase is meant to assist with code enforcement, hire inspectors, staff the department, and provide ongoing training. I'm not fond of having to pay more, but at least the revenue goes where I'd expect it to. Have permit fees increased where you reside? Do you agree with how the revenue is then allocated?

I received a notification last week that all building and planning permit fees in the surrounding counties were going up by $2 to $4. The fee increase is meant to assist with code enforcement, hire inspectors, staff the department, and provide ongoing training. I'm not fond of having to pay more, but at least the revenue goes where I'd expect it to. Have permit fees increased where you reside? Do you agree with how the revenue is then allocated?

At least they're staying on top of the budget and raising fees incrementally each year. Did you hear about the outcry that happened when Dallas' city council raised building fees by 2,700% in one year? Plan reviews and inspections mostly involve labor costs, and public sector employees, like other salaried workers, generally receive annual salary bumps. So costs should be expected to go up a small amount each year no matter what. A $2 to $4 increase every year sounds about right for keeping pace with inflation and salary increases.

Our permit fees increase every 5 years or so, mostly to keep up with inflation. The money gets used for the standard stuff that you'd expect, but it also funds our public parks. Property taxes, on the other hand, seem to increase whenever the assessor feels like it.

I've never checked to see where the money goes. I probably should. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, because our fees haven't increased since before the coronavirus hit the scene. We pay significant fees to begin with, so I hope it doesn't go up.

I don't mind them increasing fees as long as they use the earnings to better the system. And a $2 jump doesn't seem all too bad considering. I've seen some high permitting fees, this is nothing compared to a lot of other permitting fees you'll be responsible for on bigger projects.

This is a good move.

I've never checked to see where the money goes. I probably should. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, because our fees haven't increased since before the coronavirus hit the scene. We pay significant fees to begin with, so I hope it doesn't go up.
Yeah some areas aren't going to implement increases unless they really feel the need to. I would hope it goes towards the state and whatever they need.
I don't mind them increasing fees as long as they use the earnings to better the system. And a $2 jump doesn't seem all too bad considering. I've seen some high permitting fees, this is nothing compared to a lot of other permitting fees you'll be responsible for on bigger projects.

This is a good move.
Yeah a $2 jump isn't too bad. It's when that price is increased by double or triple the original fee. I don't see that happening here though. And if the money is used for good things, than I think I'd be good with a $2 bump.

Yes, permit fees have increased in my area as well, with similar justifications for the hike. While it's never pleasant to pay more, I also understand that this is important for revenue collection which will ultimately help service seekers as it will be used towards code enforcement, hiring inspectors, and staff training. While the increase isn't ideal, I agree with the necessity of allocating funds for these purposes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back