Oversize trip versus annual permit

mantis

Total posts
Tiny homes are all the rage today. They're thought to be more environmentally friendly and more affordable. There's a lot to consider, though, beyond whether you can make the space work for your lifestyle. For instance, most states have determined that tiny homes are oversized loads that require a permit to be moved. To find the most affordable option, buyers will want to weigh an annual permit against an oversize single trip permit. Often, if you plan to move the home just once or twice a year, selecting a single trip permit is the better deal. Otherwise, opting for an annual permit could save you money. Sometimes it's not just about obtaining all the permits you need, but about looking at your options and deciding which is the better choice. I think it's easy to lose sight of that when you feel driven to just get it done.

When I think of tiny homes, I think of them not moving often, usually staying in one place for life. So for me, I'd likely choose the single trip permit, as I doubt I'd be moving a tiny home often. I honestly don't see many people moving their tiny homes that much, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe some of these tiny home owners have their homes attached to their trucks and they travel with it often.

For me though, I'd stick around one area most of my life. If I were ever to travel and still want a home on the road, I think I'd rather buy myself a camper or RV.

For me, a tiny home shouldn't be moved often, unless you're someone who travels often. If you intend to move it once, a one time use permit should be more than enough. But an annual permit for moving wouldn't be bad if you happen to have a more mobile tiny home. I know those exist, some people have found ways of making a tiny home that's moveable, so they can travel and have a slice of home right there with them.

I don't live in a tiny home, but I would love to own one or two in my lifetime. I doubt I would move it all over the place.

When I think of tiny homes, I think of them not moving often, usually staying in one place for life. So for me, I'd likely choose the single trip permit, as I doubt I'd be moving a tiny home often. I honestly don't see many people moving their tiny homes that much, but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe some of these tiny home owners have their homes attached to their trucks and they travel with it often.

For me though, I'd stick around one area most of my life. If I were ever to travel and still want a home on the road, I think I'd rather buy myself a camper or RV.
Yeah, but RVs can cost just as much or more than a tiny home. So I think it depends on what you can afford.

There are a lot of things to consider if you are getting tiny home for yourself. An oversize trip permit allows temporary travel exceeding standard size limits, suitable for moving the home to its permanent location. Whereas, an annual permit provides ongoing authorization for travel within set parameters, ideal for regular relocation or transportation of multiple tiny homes. Each serves different needs: one for occasional moves, the other for frequent transport.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back