Mississippi anglers might need a Recreational Offshore Landing Permit


Active member
Oct 7, 2023
This is a friendly reminder to all the Mississippi anglers out there who fish for reef species, such as amberjacks, groupers, and triggerfish. You might need to obtain a Recreational Offshore Landing Permit, which can be picked up the at no charge as a supplement to your recreational saltwater fishing license. Casual anglers who fish from chartered boats do not need the permit, nor do children who are under 16-years-old. Some disabled people are also exempt from the requirement. Need more information? You can find more details right here.
Mississippi, United States
Which is why it's a good idea to obtain said permit while you're in the process of obtaining the license to fish in saltwater. I know people who got their license, and didn't get the permit. If the system would implement it alongside the time you file for the license, I think it would save a lot of time for those who are interesting in fishing in such an area.
Fishing here in Michigan is very similar, in that they require a license in order to fish for certain types of fish. But, Michigan has their fresh waters, so I don't know if there are any differences compared to salt water fishing and fresh water fishing.

I imagine with salt water fishing they have their own rules. I know here in Michigan we can charter boats as well, but I don't know if you're required a permit or not when chartering a boat for fishing needs.
In some places they offer discounted price for permit for certain age group (kids or senior citizen) and certain communities or groups (disable people, for instance). In fact these is very common practice where I live. However, I am not sure why they are not charging permit fees for "casual anglers who fish from chartered boats." Are they exempted because they are casual anglers or because the fish from charted boats?