Mississippi anglers might need a Recreational Offshore Landing Permit

Farmaholic

Oct 7, 2023
This is a friendly reminder to all the Mississippi anglers out there who fish for reef species, such as amberjacks, groupers, and triggerfish. You might need to obtain a Recreational Offshore Landing Permit, which can be picked up the at no charge as a supplement to your recreational saltwater fishing license. Casual anglers who fish from chartered boats do not need the permit, nor do children who are under 16-years-old. Some disabled people are also exempt from the requirement. Need more information? You can find more details right here.

Which is why it's a good idea to obtain said permit while you're in the process of obtaining the license to fish in saltwater. I know people who got their license, and didn't get the permit. If the system would implement it alongside the time you file for the license, I think it would save a lot of time for those who are interesting in fishing in such an area.

Fishing here in Michigan is very similar, in that they require a license in order to fish for certain types of fish. But, Michigan has their fresh waters, so I don't know if there are any differences compared to salt water fishing and fresh water fishing.

I imagine with salt water fishing they have their own rules. I know here in Michigan we can charter boats as well, but I don't know if you're required a permit or not when chartering a boat for fishing needs.

Back