MI's state utility can now bypass local zoning rules for clean energy projects - backlash ensues

Nomad

Total posts
Michigan faces a push to overturn its new clean energy law as local leaders launch a petition campaign. The law, passed by Democrats, allows the state's Public Service Commission to bypass local zoning rules for large solar and wind farms. Local officials argue that this new provision in the law undermines their control over zoning, thus, impacting community life without fair compensation. Critics also fear the law favors big corporations. However, the Commission Chair, Dan Scripps, assures that the communities will be heard before zoning rules are overridden. He highlights the state's commitment to renewable energy to combat climate change, targeting 50 percent renewable energy adoption by 2030 and 100 percent by 2040.

You can read more here

I am okay with this unless they start to put these large solar and wind farms everywhere without consulting people. If they give us the rundown and allow the citizens to choose where the farms go, I can see this going over fine. But when any major corporations are involved I don't know if I would trust them either. They need to work with the communities as they said they would. And hey, if it turns out to save us money on electricity, I might just be for it.

It's probably one of those things that sounds like a good idea to most folks, until they find out that it's going to be located in their neighborhood. Then it becomes an issue when it's perceived as an eyesore or a threat to their own property value.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back