Lewisville Adopts New Rules for Short-Term Rentals

Nomad

Total posts
The Lewisville City Council has approved a short-term rental ordinance to manage the surge in Airbnb and Vrbo listings. The ordinance will come in effect after July 8. Some of the clauses included on the ordinance includes a $400 annual permit fee per unit, requirement of property manager, and providing tenant information. They have also added hefty fines of $500 for non-compliance and $2,000 for violations. The ordinance also introduces a process for residents to petition parking restrictions. Short-term rental owners must pay a 7% hotel occupancy tax and include specific language in advertisements. The regulations aim to balance community concerns while accommodating the growing short-term rental trend.
You can read more here

With the way Airbnb's are blowing up in popularity, it makes sense to enact such rules like this. Especially with the annual permit fee, but per unit is probably going to bug some home owners or those who own hotels and are using it as an Airbnb or something.

I can see this happening in may other areas where Airbnb has taken off.

I'm with you, Jake; it makes sense to add regulatory rules that reflect the modern-day market. This rule will cut into the profits of those who run Airbnb accommodations, but I doubt it will dent the demand for such options. The additional fees will probably be passed down to the consumer.

I'm with you, Jake; it makes sense to add regulatory rules that reflect the modern-day market. This rule will cut into the profits of those who run Airbnb accommodations, but I doubt it will dent the demand for such options. The additional fees will probably be passed down to the consumer.
Yeah I didn't think of the additional fees being put on the consumer, but I suppose with new rules and changes like this, they'll just raise their prices to make up for the new fees and rules. Figures they would go that route, but it is what it is.

I think if you can afford to run an Airbnb, then you should be able to pay these new permit fees. Especially if you have multiple properties specifically for running Airbnb's.
Sadly that's likely what they will end up doing if they need to pay these extra fees. Consumers always get screwed over when stuff like this happens.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back