Kansas City Adopts Stricter Home Efficiency Standards, Faces Construction Delays

Nomad

Total posts
Kansas City, Missouri, has introduced higher efficiency standards in its building code, causing delays in new permits. Builders, who now have to navigate a complex application process, express challenges in receiving feedback and revising designs. The first permit under these standards, issued to SAB Homes, suggests progress, but these energy-efficient homes come with higher initial costs—$15,000 to $21,000 more than older standards. Despite the upfront expenses, these homes promise long-term savings of around $2,500 annually in energy bills, reflecting the city's commitment to sustainability amid the evolving housing market.
You can read more here

I love that there are people trying to make houses more energy efficient, but it's not fun seeing the prices for these new style of homes. If they can truly result in saving me money annually, I'd probably eat the higher costs.

As for the new efficiency standards, I understand where they are coming from. I think the delays is just a part of the change, it will get easier.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back